Plumb Pak screws

Twenty years ago, the last time I dealt with washers, plumbing,etc. I didn't know what size washers I needed and I bought Assortments, one bag "Flat with screws" and one "Beveled with screws". Both called Plumb Pak. I think I used one of the screws but when I tried to use one this time, the screws were different sizes from one bag to the next. Not length but diameter!!! How can that be? Only a little bit but enough that it wouldn't screw in to the hole in the stem and I ended up using the original screw. Did they get bigger because they absorbed water?

Reply to
micky