phone wiring orientation question

I am having an another kind of phone line problem? I currently have a flaky phone system where my phone?s been working | not-working. I have a question, my phone line uses 2 wire ( blue & blue-white of 6 pair phone line), however, does it matter which orientation blue & blue-white line connects to the phone? (Let just say I have a two phone and one phone is wired blue, then blue-white but the other phone is wired blue-white then blue). Please, let me know?Thank you in advance.

Oktokie Ps: I?ve been living in the phone nightmare for past 3 months

Reply to
oktokie

Probably it doesn't matter. It depends on the phone. You can check the polarity with a Radio Shack line tester, if you have modular plugs. But miswiring shouldn't cause intermittent problems -- sounds more like loose connections.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

currently have a

not-working. I have a

6 pair phone

blue-white line

and one phone is

blue-white then

months

It might but you didn't give enough info to make judgement calls on - not even how the phone doesn't work.

Easiest thing to try is to switch the wires inside the plug block and see if the problem changes. Have you tried another phone there? What's your 'system'? Are you sure the system's OK? If you know which is Tip and which is Ring, Ring is always negative w/r to the Tip.

Pop

Reply to
Pop Rivet

As I recall, one way rings, the other doesn't. Both ways let you call out.

oktokie wrote:

And yet you don't say what the problem is.

Reply to
Chuck Yerkes

Actually you have it backwards. On the old touch tone phones circa Western Electric 1500/2500, if the tip and ring were reversed the touch tone unit would not work. The ringer and the actual talking circuits don't care. Newer phones have a bridge on the electronics and they don't care.

Reply to
Greg