Phone Line Problem - Plea

Oktokie:

O > I have problem with my curernt phone line! O > Phone line currently does not work. I cannot dial-out and when I O > dial-in, then I get busy signal. O > I've checked phone line from TNI and it appears to be working fine. The O > problem lies within TNI and after(my home's phone wiring). I've O > disassembed every RJ11 female wall socket in my home and checked for O > possible short within the socket wiring, but I found everything is okay.

You could disconnect all telephone devices (phones, answering machines, caller ID units, etc., test with a known good phone, and then start plugging things back in one at a time, checking for the dial tone at each step.

As the RJ11 connectors are OK it may be a shorted cable connecting them in the wall -- rodent?

O > However, I should mention that I used to have 2 lines about 3 years ago. O > I had installed it about 4 years ago when I moved-in. I had the 2nd line O > for internet dial-up and when I got broadband then I've quickly switched O > and had 2nd line cancelled. For past 3 years, I had no problem using the O > phone, but recently, I started notice noise build up on the phone line O > and now it does not work!

As you probably know "Line 1" is the Red/Green (or equivalent) pair; in the jacks they are the inner connectors. "Line 2" is the Black/Yellow (or equiv.) pair, and are the outer connectors. I'm wondering if perhaps the old Line 2 pair is still connected to the pole (outside)?

Someone mentioned a 6" wire; maybe try replacing this with a two-conductor (vs. four conductor) to test if the old Line 2 from outside is causing problems. (If you look at the connector you'll see either two or four metal connectors.)

  • BannedChildrensBook: Complete Set Of "MotherGotGoosed" Nursery Rhymes
Reply to
barry martin

When it happened to me...it turned out to be a staple that went through the phone wire in the garage. Just a simple short AND that staple was not new, it must have been through the wire for some time and just never touched the inner wire until then.

NEVER FORGET!!!

jtees4