Phone finder?

An older gentleman I know would like a smart phone. He's worried about losing it, though. Is there such a thing as a locator that responds to a person clapping? I remember a gizmo called the Clapper for turning lights off and on. I thought it would be nice if he didn't have to mess with another component to make the locator work. Any other ideas?

Yes, or you can just ring the smartphone from the landline etc.

Ring it from the landline.
On 4/1/2019 10:18 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

  Why should he take advice from someone who can't even figure out how to remove a simple plastic scrivit panel fastener ?
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Because that is the best way to find a lost smartphone, fuckwit.
And I found a perfectly effective way of removing the scrivet, just found a better one in the link that Clare posted, fuckwit. Better than anything a lying fuckwit like you produced too.
On 4/1/2019 11:54 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

  I was taught that calling names and using foul language was the last resort of a feeble mind . So from now on I'm just going to refer to you as "the feeb" .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 6:42:30 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:

ed

at

ast

You are right. Way too much cussing here.
Andy
On Tuesday, April 2, 2019 at 12:18:54 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

how

Even this answer, the troll said:
Is there such a thing as a locator that

So, what's this unnamed alleged locating device to a smartphone that locate s it by clapping that the troll implies exists?
Another way that does exist to locate it would be to have the smartphone set up to access mail and to then send an email to yourself. Mine issues a chime when a new email arrives. I think you can send texts via a computer too, so sending texts to the phone would make it chime too. Simplest, easiest is to ring it from another phone, if you have one. You can GPS locate it also from a computer, that could help determine if it's in the house, car, shed or you left it at the library.
On 4/1/19 10:18 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

I think he wants to get rid of the landline. Saving money, ya know. He uses a walker so asking the neighbors for help might not work very well.
wrote

Yeah, I have done that myself. In my case the landline is free with the broadband but I don’t use it for calls anymore.

Yeah, one of those clappers in the smartphone case is likely the best approach for him. In theory you can enable full time siri on a recent iphone and just ask siri something and hear where the response comes from but in practice at least with my iphone 6s it doesn’t recognise the command from very far away, certainly not in a house when you have the phone in the bedroom and are in the kitchen or main room etc. Dunno if any of the androids are much more sensitive, seems unlikely. Personally in his situation I'd try to get him to have the phone on a lanyard etc so if he has a fall he can call someone, but when my dad was in that situation, without the walker, I couldn’t get him to do that. He appeared to have decided that it was the proof that he had become that decrepit.
wrote

Something like this should work and isnt expensive. (Amazon.com product link shortened) searching on key finder found that one.
On 04/01/2019 08:04 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

You mean lost in the house? If there's a landline available, call it. There are apps like 'Find My Device' for Android and similar for iPhones that can pick up the location and display it on a map. That sounds like overkill if it's close enough for clapping to work.

And need more than a landline too.
On 4/1/19 11:27 PM, rbowman wrote:

Yes, within his house. He needs a walker to get around so turning the house upside down during a search would be pretty strenuous for the old guy.
On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 05:15:48 -0500, Dean Hoffman

Tie the phone to the walker.
On 4/1/2019 10:04 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

https://www.androidcentral.com/make-sure-your-phone-never-lost-again-wear-aware
https://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/03/08/lookout-for-apple-watch/

Both are pretty expensive approaches tho. If he wants to save by not having a landline anymore, unlikely he would be that keen on buying a watch as well.
On 4/2/2019 2:21 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

He didn't express a concern for price, only for a solution to his problem. What's expensive to you may not be to another and vice versa.

But we have since been told that he likely wont be able to call the smartphone from the landline because he appears to want to stop paying for the landline once he has a smartphone. That would make sense given that my smartphone plan gives me unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any landline or cellphone in the country and 1GB of data a month for just $10 a month.
If he does want to avoid paying for a landline now, its not very likely that he would be too keen on paying for a smart watch just to find the smartphone.
On 4/2/2019 2:48 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

I'm answering the original question as it's asked. I don't assume anything unless it's stated.

I didn’t assume anything, that was added after the original post.