Phone finder?

An older gentleman I know would like a smart phone. He's worried about losing it, though. Is there such a thing as a locator that responds to a person clapping? I remember a gizmo called the Clapper for turning lights off and on. I thought it would be nice if he didn't have to mess with another component to make the locator work. Any other ideas?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Dean Hoffman snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net wrote

Yes, or you can just ring the smartphone from the landline etc.

Ring it from the landline.

Reply to
Rod Speed

  Why should he take advice from someone who can't even figure out how to remove a simple plastic scrivit panel fastener ?
Reply to
Terry Coombs

And need more than a landline too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think he wants to get rid of the landline. Saving money, ya know. He uses a walker so asking the neighbors for help might not work very well.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, within his house. He needs a walker to get around so turning the house upside down during a search would be pretty strenuous for the old guy.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

  I was taught that calling names and using foul language was the last resort of a feeble mind . So from now on I'm just going to refer to you as "the feeb" .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Meanie

Even this answer, the troll said:

Is there such a thing as a locator that

So, what's this unnamed alleged locating device to a smartphone that locates it by clapping that the troll implies exists?

Another way that does exist to locate it would be to have the smartphone set up to access mail and to then send an email to yourself. Mine issues a chime when a new email arrives. I think you can send texts via a computer too, so sending texts to the phone would make it chime too. Simplest, easiest is to ring it from another phone, if you have one. You can GPS locate it also from a computer, that could help determine if it's in the house, car, shed or you left it at the library.

Reply to
trader_4

I know someone who is often losing things. Sometimes the same thing several times a day.

With phones, you may have another phone you can call it from.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Here's a variety of locating devices:

trader_4

There are several GPS or proximity devices out there that one can attach to an object (such as a set of keys/fob) which will alert if the carrying walks to far away and some that can be found through an app, though of course, the phone would be needed for that one.

Reply to
Meanie

Yeah, I have done that myself. In my case the landline is free with the broadband but I don’t use it for calls anymore.

Yeah, one of those clappers in the smartphone case is likely the best approach for him. In theory you can enable full time siri on a recent iphone and just ask siri something and hear where the response comes from but in practice at least with my iphone 6s it doesn’t recognise the command from very far away, certainly not in a house when you have the phone in the bedroom and are in the kitchen or main room etc. Dunno if any of the androids are much more sensitive, seems unlikely. Personally in his situation I'd try to get him to have the phone on a lanyard etc so if he has a fall he can call someone, but when my dad was in that situation, without the walker, I couldn’t get him to do that. He appeared to have decided that it was the proof that he had become that decrepit.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And were so f****ng stupid that you couldn’t even manage to work out that that was always bullshit.

<reams of your shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>
Reply to
Rod Speed

Not very good for finding a phone left somewhere in the house tho.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Something like this should work and isnt expensive.

on key finder found that one.

Reply to
Rod Speed

He didn't express a concern for price, only for a solution to his problem. What's expensive to you may not be to another and vice versa.

Reply to
Meanie

<reams of your shit any 2 year old could leave for dead flushed where it belongs>

Whoops, nothing left. Wota surprise.

Reply to
Rod Speed

But we have since been told that he likely wont be able to call the smartphone from the landline because he appears to want to stop paying for the landline once he has a smartphone. That would make sense given that my smartphone plan gives me unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any landline or cellphone in the country and

1GB of data a month for just $10 a month.

If he does want to avoid paying for a landline now, its not very likely that he would be too keen on paying for a smart watch just to find the smartphone.

Reply to
Rod Speed

  Clipping out someone's response is the equivalent of a 3 year old sticking his fingers in his ears and shouting "la-la-la-la-la-la" . Congratulations on making it past The Terrible Twos !
Reply to
Terry Coombs