Percentage of Americans owning guns

and other lies the media tells.

Here is the CBS article about it and this is what they say about Florida

******* Florida comes in at number 30, with 10.2 guns for every 1,000 residents. That's a staggering 199,828 registered firearms dispersed among 19,552,860 people. *******

OK so we have ~200,000 guns here. (hardy a staggering number) Why are there 1.5 MILLION concealed firearm permits? That implies at least 1.5 million handguns in 1.5 million separate people's hands. Does anyone else see a problem with this "study"? That wouldn't even include long guns and Bob thinks we all have 30.

gfretwell

What is a registered firearm ? Outside of machine guns and some few other full automatic and special guns I don't know what would be registered. Cbsnews says they are not counting pistols.

This just sounds like another bS artical.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Nonsense, and an agenda. Florida does not register guns.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

If they think there are 11,461 'registered' firearms in Montana they're going to get a hell of a surprise. Or they may be counting the NFA registered machine guns, SBRs, silencers, and destructive devices. That I could believe.

The Montana Shooting Sports Association estimated 23 firearms per household. I always thought that was high or I'm a slacker. The firearm ownership is supposed to be over 50% and that I could believe.

Molon labe, Joe.

Reply to
rbowman

On a per capita basis the US has one of the higher death rates from firearms.

But on a per firearm basis, the US may be the safest country in the world. Fewer US firearms are ever used to kill anyone.

Reply to
TimR

The problem is 'the US'. This state's statistics are equivalent to the neighboring province of Alberta but we don't have the busy weekends that Chicago has.

Reply to
rbowman

Exactly but guys like Bob will cite it as gospel.

Reply to
gfretwell

Pretty much the same as how many knives (1515 murders) or blunt objects (443 murders) it takes.

The strange thing is you folks have your knickers in a knot about "assault rifles" but more people are killed with bare hands (572) than die from rifles, all kinds, including the "assault" ones (297).

Source 2018 FBI UCR

gfretwell

It is also an insignificant number of the murders but I suppose if you are a racist, you would point out these are white kids so they matter.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have never heard you talk but I read a lot of your writing. I see the same thing in memes if I stray too far left in my browsing

Reply to
gfretwell

You were the one putting more weight on white lives than black. I find the murders equally bad.

Reply to
gfretwell

It was obvious. A dozen black kids get shot in Baltimore or Chicago on any given weekend and you ignore it but a few white kids get shot and it is a national emergency. What else can you call it?

Reply to
gfretwell

it's only insignificant if you are not the one getting murdered.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The chance of anyone being murdered who is not living in the ghetto is pretty insignificant and if you are murdered in Leave it to Beaver land, it is probably someone you live with doing it.

These "active shooter" things average down around the number of people hit by lightning. (27 a year killed and 243 injured in an average year) source National weather service

In fact in spite of the assault rifle hype, most people killed by rifles are not killed by an assault rifle since it is usually a hunting accident where magazine capacity is typically limited to 4+1. The rifle is as likely to be a bolt action as an SA.

Banning ARs is not going to do much to the murder rate.

Reply to
gfretwell

You are the one who said "Then look at the numbers for mass murders."

I am just pointing out, that is an insignificant part of our national murder toll and if you don't see that, black lives don't matter to you. I understand calling someone is a racist is your go to tactic, no matter what, but it is misplaced.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's not about the murder rate , it's about the ease of subjugation ... personally I'd be more afraid of a hillbilly with his favorite squrl rafle .

Reply to
Snag

I feel the need to have a gun is like the ones on those 737 MAX (may have the number wrong) that wish that they had a parachute with them when the plane went down.

Or a spare tire for the car. I have had about 3 flat tires in 50 years of driving. A very low number, but need the spare when it was needed.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Name calling and ad hominem attacks are the last refuge for people who can't handle the truth. You are right down there in the gutter with Rod/##.

Reply to
gfretwell

Use of assault weapons or any kind rifle is insignificant compared to pistols:

invalid unparseable

Not my lunacy, it is the FBI saying that. Have you ever actually looked at the UCR and understood what you were looking at? How many homicide cops have you known?

There are other uses for guns other than simply shooting people but I would not expect you to understand that.

These are not weapons of war but I doubt I could explain the difference to you. You are still spending a lot of effort trying to address 0.18% of the murders here. (<30 out of 16,425 in 2019). In fact even if you want to talk about those "active shooters", 52% used handguns, not "weapons of war".

I know you hate statistics but that is what they say.

gfretwell