pen-like run-along-the-ac-line "locate-the-break" tester?

pen-like run-along-the-ac-line "locate-the-break" tester?

I once saw an electrician find a break in an ac-cable (110 volts) by running some pen-like instrument along the outside of the cable, down its length. It maybe beeped at the break, or a light turned off when the voltage dissappeared, I forget.

Anyway, I'd now like to get one of these nifty things.

(1) What are they called?

(2) What brands?

(3) Prices? Price vs quality?

(I'm no professional; I'd just use the thing around home, only once in a while, but it's sure save a lot of time, sweat, and tears -- and blood too, maybe!)

So, suggestions?

Thanks!

David

Reply to
David Combs

$17.00

The Classic Greenlee Volt Tick -- an industry best-seller. Over 1 million sold. And no wonder. Pros and do-it-yourselfers alike have found the Volt Tick an invaluable safety tool. Now, this new version also features an on/off switch for better-than-ever performance and value.

  • Convenient pen size, fits in pocket or tool pouch.

  • Bright LED and audible alarm if voltage is present.

  • Use to detect the presence of voltage at outlets, lighting fixtures, circuit breakers, wires and cables, or find a break in a wire.

  • Accessories included: (2)1.5 volt AAA batteries

  • Voltage detection: 50-1000VAC

  • Frequency range: 50-500Hz

  • Overvoltage protection: IEC 61010-1 Category III,1000V
Reply to
Ermalina

This is Turtle.

They have them at Lowe's Stores in a few different models. I like the G & B Instruments Company -- Mod. # GVD-504A at about $11.99 and they have the fatter model / suppose to be better / for $12.99. I do hvac work and keep one in my pocket to keep from getting electricuted. Everytime you go to touch or cut a wire. you check to see if your going to get fired up or not. Good little tool.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE