Along the old tool line

My father-in-law just gave me an older Rockwell/Delta drill press circa

1962, dirty, greasy, in terrible shape. But clean, and serviced it promises to do great work for another 40 years, I hope. Pictures uncleaned were posted on ABPW

Dave

Reply to
David Babcock

Hello David,

Several years ago I bought a Rockwell 32" Radial Drill Press, model 11-280, like yours in an estate sale. There is no mention of Delta on my old drill press or in the manual and the motor is a 11.5 amp, 1750 RPM Dayton. Delta introduced a "new" version of this radial drill press a few years ago, but I don't see it now. The old Rockwell is a wonderfull woodworking drill press. Though your drill press is dirty, it looks to be complete and not abused. There should be a cover for the front pulley to keep hair , etc., from getting caught in the belts. The only delicate part of the machine is the tilt lock plunger assembly on the center support, which locks into the slot on the arm. Take this apart and clean and lubricate it as a first step.

My drill press had a bit of play >Both the motor and drill section have a pulley with four different sizes, guess that

I'm a bit confused by this statement. Aren't step pulleys still a common way to vary the speed on induction motor driven machines? Aren't induction motors the standard and preference for stationary tools? On this subject, there is no convenient way to release the belt tension on the drill press, thus making it a hassle to change speeds. I've thoughtof several ways to introduce a belt tensioner/release, but none are elegant. If you have any ideas, let me know.

jj

Reply to
James Lee Johnson