Restoring an older Delta/Rockwell contractor TS

I just bought an older Delta/Rockwell contractor TS

this thing is a tank and I think I can make it (bring it back) into a nice saw

I have a few questions .. I will only ask the ones that I cant seem to get google to come up with.

  1. The fence is very heavy duty, but .. when I move the fence on my side of the saw, the fence on the OTHER side of the saw lags behind just a fraction .. this may not be a big deal .. but .. I can actually lock down the fence in the laged position .. that cant be good.

the fence is one of those with the great big round tubes.

I am pretty sure that if the thing was aligned and waxed and working like designed, that I wouldnt have this problem.

Is there somewhere I can read how to set up this fence ?

  1. This thing weighs a ton .. and Ill have to pull it out to use it. It does have these little casters on the bottom but they are worn so much that they dont work anymore. Are there rebuit kits for these.

I am aware of the square caster stands that you can buy to put under your power tools ..but .. I just wanted to try and get the originals working

thanks mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD

Mike, first thing to do, and hopefully this hasn't changed since B&D bought Delta, is to get the model & serial number of your saw and call Delta. If their policy is still the same they will send you a user manual (free)

You have an original style "jetlock" fence (no relation to Jet tools) There was likely some variation in production over the years it was made, so these instructions may need to be modified. Usually there are

2 bolts or screws near the front or lever side of the fence on top. Loosen these to adjust parallelism to the miter slots. Now, and I'm working from memory here, I think the bolt that adjusts ther rear clamp is at the back of the fence. If not someone will correct me shortly I'm sure. At any rate it shouldn't be hard to determine which bolt or nut adjusts the clamping of the rear fence lock. The important thing is to adjust it so that the front clamp locks to the front rail slightly before the rear clamp locks to the rear.

When using this fence, it helps to push forward at the front of the fence, towards the saw, while operating the lever. This will help square it properly. When all is adjusted properly, the front clamp will lock down, squaring up the fence, and then the rear clamp will lock. Another thing, try to always make the final move of the fence _towards_ the blade. IOW, if changing from a rip width of 6" to 8", move the fence out past 8" then back in again.

The jetlock is no Beismeyer or Unifence and requires more fussing with, but it can be serviceable fence if kept adjusted properly, until such time as you may decide to upgrade.

Reply to
lwasserm

Maybe here:

RayV

You might try the Delta site which will send you to

you click on the link for the manuals. You do have to register. I haven't tried here for an older manual since the Delta site always had them before. I think if you enter your model number though you should be able to get your manual in pdf at no charge. It should show you the fence instructions (the jet-lock was the standard fence back then) and might even show the part number for the caster although I don't think either are manufactured anymore.

Also, Larry's advice on the fence set-up is on the money. A few minutes messing with the adjustments and you'll be in business.

Another thing of note, that saw was of USA manufacture and you can't buy a new Delta Contractor's saw that is anymore.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Yea .. found a pic of my saw .. mine has the side tables and is a little better shape than this one.

... not service manual ..

I think I'll take Larry's advice and just start playing with it .. the strategy he gave really helps ..

thanks guys mike

Reply to
Mike_in_SD