Paver patio over top a drainage pipe???

I'm in the process of digging out a hole for a paver patio that we're beginning. It's outside of a walkout basement. I just removed an old slab of cement outside the walkout door and as I was digging about 10" down a water puddle formed and I ran in to a drainage pipe. This pipe appears to run parallel to the house right at the footer. The water does not go above the top of that pipe. I presume it's ends up draining in to the sump, but still there is a pool of water there and I'm not sure what to do at this point. Can I safely cover the opening of the pipe, lay some gravel on top and pave over the top of this pipe? Or, what is another solution? Thanks in advance for the help.

Geo

Reply to
Geo

Probably need a little more info - like where you live, what the weather conditions have been, etc. Pooling water only 10 inches below grade and near the foundation is a problem in most places. If the pipe is a foundation drain, it doesn't sound like it's doing its job.

Reply to
Mark

In SW Ohio near Dayton. I'll say this, when it rains my sump works fine so there is drainage to the sump. I guess it's time to call the plumber.

Reply to
Geo

In SW Ohio near Dayton. I'll say this, when it rains my sump works fine so there is drainage to the sump. I guess it's time to call the plumber.

Just an additional note - the water that is pooling is below the floor level of the basement. It's at that footer level about where the drain tile is.

Reply to
Geo

Dayton, Ohio, don't you guys get real winter there? A foundation and drainage for the foundation should not be merely 10" below grade. Frost penetration must go deeper than that! It is possibly the drainage pipe for your eavestrough or gutter and takes the water, as mentioned earlier, to a low spot for drainage and that the exit for the water is plugged probably with leaves and other trash that fell on the roof and got washed down.

Try digging a hole across the pipe every 10 feet and follow where it goes, OR you may be able to use a strong wire coathanger to probe for it, if it is only 10" down. You need to find where it starts and where it finishes and fix the drainage problem.

Reply to
EXT