Bumpers and/or support blocks...

Anybody know of source for approximately 2" diam. 3" long hard rubber bumpers or something similar?

Rear support on JD 966 utility tractor is missing (long story, bought the tractor used, the seller had put new hood on it, but hadn't fitted it out w/ all the odds and ends of the origninal). JD doesn't show what is supposed to actually be there on the parts diagrams but has emobsses on the underside of the hood for a threaded stud similar to those that hold the front brackets. I think they're 8 mm, btw, for a hint on size needed for the bumpers. There are areas directly under these molded into the trough that fits over the fuel tank that they would set on/in. W/O anything there, the hood is resting directly on the dash panel and sits low enough the firewall panel is rubbing the hood. Eventually this is going to wear a hole in the hood itself if I can't find/fabricate something suitable.

So, ideal would be a molded bumper w/ a threaded insert on the other end..I've seen such things, but can't seem to find any source...help/ leads appreciated.

Reply to
dpb

My first thought was urethane bushing as I replaced the front suspension in my truck with them...

A fast check resulted this threaded poly....HTH

-- Oren

Oren

Oren, by golly, I think that could shore do the trick...I'm thinking the softer ones probably would work better for my purpose. I also realized (somewhat belatedly) that there's a magnet mounted on a bracket on the firewal, but nothing for it to latch on to on the hood...I need to figure out the right heights and clearances and do some figgering...for the life of me I can't understand them not showing on the JD parts diagrams/lists, though. The small tractor mechanic locally says he can't recall there being more than one more of this series in the area and it was sold at a retirement sale a couple of years ago so don't know where it is any longer. He says he's not seen one to know what the actually had from factory but there's no doubt whatever it was isn't shown on any diagrams.

Anyway, that's a good pointer and undoubtedly will get something that will be workable...

-- dpb

Reply to
dpb

Would Shop Manual, like Chilton's type have more detail vs a parts list?

-- Oren

Oren

I've looked at the full JD service manual/exploded diagrams as here

Reply to
dpb

My 94 saturn has a rubber engine upper support mount that I fabricated completely out of 'Goop' when the original failed.

It has been holding for 5 years now.

Reply to
DK

On May 24, 3:32 pm, dpb wrote: ...

Opens up the parts app, not the previously displayed page. Enter "955" in the model field then select "compact utility tractor" from the list...again, assumes enough interest to look, a _BIG_ assumption, I grant... :)

Reply to
dpb

At the alpha list, select *H* and drop down to HOOD MAGNET AND BRACKET (LATCH). Looks like an angle bracket mounts to the firewall?

-- Oren

Oren

Yeah, but now your mission (if you choose to accept it) is to find the whatever it is that's suppose to mount on the hood underside for the magnet to catch... :)

The magnet/bracket is present...

--

dpb

Reply to
dpb

So you have parts 1 - 4? Is 2,3 and 4 actually riveted together?

Just guessing that 2 magnetically "sticks" to the hood?

Is 7 the bumper pad you need?

-- Oren

Oren

Engine mounts in my vocabulary; means, engine mounts! :-/

-- Oren

Oren

Yes, and yes...

Would if there were something magnetic on the hood... :)

No, that's a side panel sticky-back cushion -- I've replaced all of those that were missing. What I was looking to replace (? or maybe have a modification for the first time?) is a set of bumpers to mount on the hood that would sit on the top of the fuel tank trough to hold the hood up off the firewall (part 5, partition). As it is now, it lays low enough the corners are wearing through from the sharp edges...

The most peculiar thing is if you go to "Hood and Grille" note there are no addons to the hood at the driver's end shown, only the hinges. Where the bosses are that the hinges fasten to the studs are shown, on the hood there are actually two (or maybe four?) more at the other end that aren't even shown...that's where the magnet is located physically but there ain't nothing for it to "mag"... :(

Anyway, thanks for looking and seeing (at least so far) the same thing I have seen...

Reply to
dpb

Me, too, I was just curious what "goop" could be adequate for the purpose...

I'm pretty sure your bumpers are much more suited to the task at hand if I end up w/ no further leads directly from Mr Deere Greenpaint on the _real_ missing part(s)...

Reply to
dpb

As a little more clarification -- the rivet (1) is actually just a pop rivet and holds the retainer over the magnet itself to make a nice, neat little package mounted to the firewall/partition. Unfortunately, the problem is there's nothing for it to attract... :(

Reply to
dpb

McMaster-Carr

Reply to
Kathy

I was guessing that if 2 was not riveted with 3 and 4, then it might mount under the hood.( wrong ).

It is a good riddle. :-))

For the hood bumpers; instead of the threaded poly ($) I was thinking something like what is used under auto hoods and might be cheap at a salvage yard.

It you solve the riddle with JD it would be interesting how it pans out.

-- Oren

Oren

Except for the sign, 'tis true... :(

Actually, that's not a bad idea, either -- I was fixated on a solid bumper the whole length needed, but there's really no reason it couldn't be just a pad on the end of a stud...

Yeah, it appears I'll have to cobble up something -- wish I knew where there were another to go look at--would make the design process simpler/quicker, possibly. So far, I've not found a scrapped one at any of the tractor salvage places that are relatively close, either. Of course, for the most part they're far more interested in much larger stuff than these little utility tractors...

Reply to
dpb

Some pads/bumpers on/in a vehicle might be attached with just a sheet metal screw down the center. You might not even need a threaded stud (go search your truck :-) )

The _bride_ always puts these small clear bumpers on the inside of cabinet doors. Even something that simple (larger) might stop/reduce the hood damage.

-- Oren

Oren

The mounting bosses on the underside of the hood have holes for the studs already cast in them so that's not a problem to place the studs. There's not much else structural so that really is about the only choice for the mounting. The ones on the old grain truck are precisely that type though, and there are lots of old trucks out here even though I don't have any to choose from w/o going to the salvage, but surely a good starting point. As near as I could judge (and measuring is a little tricky since not much of any way to get there when lay the hood down (and using spacers to estimate, it's a little hard to keep them in place while closing it), I'm estimating will need almost 3" total length which pretty much means a stud to have the lateral stiffness.

Anyway, thanks for the thought process and ideas -- got a few alternatives to work on when get the time to get back to that -- field spraying w/ bigger tractor is on the agenda at present and the little one is for around the place only...

Reply to
dpb