Parts aren't always cheaper where one would expect

Being in need of a replacement charcoal filter for a Kenmore microwave oven, I first tried pcappliancerepair.com, which I had on previous occasions found to be the best place for appliance parts and accessories. This time, however, the site could not recognize the appliance Model #.

I then went to the Sears Web site and found that the filter was available (but only by paying shipping: none in stock at the nearest Service and Repair Center, which is a 45min. drive away anyway) for $24.xx.

I then plugged this part no. into pcappliancerepair.com' search window, which showed a price of over $40 but with none in stock anyway.

I then Googled the part no. and found it in the description of some microwaves by LG Electronics. Recalling that we had seen LG microwave ovens at Best Buy, I tried their Web site and found the filters (although the brand was given as "Zenith") for a mere $11.66.

I have no connection with Best Buy (other than having sometimes shopped there but nowadays studiously avoiding them), and I'm certainly not going to claim that they would be the cheapest for all parts, but this time they came out ahead.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

etc.

I had a timer on a hot tub go. Price at the local retail store was around $60. I removed the timer and called the manufacturer. Price, including postage, was around $16! Thank God for the Internet.

Reply to
Dan Wenz

I removed a bad element forom a GE dryer yesterday, heat wire broke. Did a quick check it appears to be between 100 to 140 bucks/

The dryers owner is on a fixed income and I am doing this for FREE to help her out.

now I will start serious shopping...

Reply to
hallerb