Caulk problem in tub

We are getting a leak where our tub meets our tile. I removed all of the old caulk and recaulked it using siliconized acrylic (supposedly the best, MAX 5000 or something, at Sears). After a few weeks, I noticed that the caulking had cracked and it was now worse than before. I redid the entire process, making sure that I got rid of all the old caulk, and then recaulked again. I waited about 14-18 hours before using the shower. But now, after just a week, I see cracks again in the caulk. Am I doing something wrong? This was new caulk. Should I get a different kind? Any help would be greatly appeciated. Thanks!

Jeff

Reply to
jeffreyswilson

Did you have the tub filled when you caulked? The weight of the water pushes the tub downward and if you caulk at that time, the stuff just compresses as the tub is drained and the tub rises. If you caulked and then filled the tub, the caulk would likely tear and let go.

Reply to
Robatoy

Acrylic caulk is good but Silicone II (100% silicone) is generally regarded as more flexible and longer lasting.

I think acrylic comes in more colors and has a flatter sheen and now comes mixed with antimicrobials. 100% Silicone has a glossier sheen and usually only comes in white and clear but you can find black and blue at automotive stores for gasket making but it has other fillers.

Since you need to recaulk anyway, try the silicone II and fill the tub as the other poster suggested.

When I did my tub (surface mounted) it had a rather large gap. I filled that first with expanding foam which I trimmed so that it was only inside then spread caulk on top of that to form a fillet. This seems to be holding up well.

Reply to
PipeDown

Silicone caulk should be used. If the tub moves that much, I would suspect problems with the floor.

Reply to
Norminn