Part above microwave oven to keep air going only one way

We are having our kitchen remodeled. We are reusing our microwave oven (a Kenmore 665.6170911). The contractor says that there is supposed to be a piece on top of it that lets air out the vent but closes to keep anything from coming in. I looked in the manual and don't see anything like that, even in the installation instructions. Is there such a thing, and if so, how can I find out the part number for one for this microwave oven?

Reply to
Jan Philips

Sears.

Not much to it. You also have option of external flap on vent. What did you do before, use no venting ?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

it's called a damper

Reply to
a2rjh

In my limited experience of installing three such microwaves, none had an included damper. It had a duct outlet, but the damper was provided by the installer or customer.

They are readily available at home stores and come in a variety of sizes.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My sears unit did come with it. Mine is the over range type. It was approximately valued at $450-$500, but I got it at a discount house for about $200.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

That's a lot of money for a damper!

Reply to
george

+1 to that. I don't see why the contractor doesn't just put one outside, where the exhaust exits. I'd much rather have it there. If it gets stuck, dirty, etc it's accessible instead of being buried above an installed microwave.
Reply to
trader4

It was venting but there was no damper at the oven. From what others said, it is not specific to that unit and it may be at the other end of the line.

Reply to
Jan Philips

It was really damp.

Reply to