Painting Plastic ?

Hi,

Have a plastic bucket that I wish to place in the garden. Would like to paint it.

Have no idea what type of plastic, but fairly smooth surface.

Undoubtedly, it'll require some kind of primer first.

Any thoughts on type and brand of primer, and also what type of paint to use ?

Or, is painting plastic, and actually getting it to stick long term, a pretty much hopeless task ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

DAGS

RayV

"Robert11" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

automotive store or section of Wal-Mart,they have spray primers specifically for painting plastic.You will have to use top coats from the same supplier as the primer for compatibility,or test on scrap first.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Look on the bottom of the bucket. There will be a recycling number in a triangle. Look that up online, and it will tell you what kind of plastic it is.

Reply to
Goedjn

Krylon Fusion.

No primer required. I just painted some plastic trim on my car and it turned out great.

Can be bought @ Wal-Mart or auto parts store.

Ron

There may be initials under the symbol as well:

PC polycarbonate PP polypropylene PS polystyrene PE polyethylene etc.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Home Depot carries plastic primer and colors in spray cans.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

And it sucks!

That is what I tried before the Krylon Fusion. Not only did it spray out of the can in an orange peel pattern, but it was still tacky after

2 days in direct sunlight. The Krylon sprayed smooth and could be handled in about 30 mins.
Reply to
Ron