Painting Ceiling Problem

My wife and I decided to paint a little-used 10X12 bedroom in our house. The walls had not been painted in 20 years, and the ceiling had not been painted in maybe 30 years. On the walls, we used two coats of paint. They look nice. The ceiling, however, is another story.

The ceiling is a common textured surface; it was white and we kept it white, using Dutch Boy white flat ceiling paint. After the first coat, it was obvious a second coat would be needed, so we applied a second coat yesterday. Well, the second coat didn't help much and, if anything, it looks worse. The job is basically blotchy, with some areas lighter than other areas, even though we used over a half-gallon of paint on the recoat. So, it needs to be done again and any advice would be appreciated.

Since it hadn't been painted in 30 years, should we have primed it first? I've never primed previously painted walls in the past. Or, is it possible the Dutch Boy isn't good paint? Or, should I use a better roller cover? (I used one with a 1/2" nap that said it was for textured ceilings, among other things.) What should be done next to finish this job properly? Thanks.

Reply to
Scott J

It could be a number of things. It's possible you have calcimine on your ceiling if the paint is a lot older than 30 years.

Other than that, it's probably a stain blocking thing. Ceiling paint is not really heavy on pigments and stain blocking. A coat of a primer sealer, such as Zinser's BIN would probably do the trick.

RicodJour

Are you sure you thoroughly stirred the paint before and during the painting? Also, 1/2 " nap is ok, but for a textured ceiling I would have used something like 3/4", certainly for the second coat when it was obvious that there was a coverage problem.

Reply to
hrhofmann

How long has the second coat been on?

It is highly unlikely the paint was applied to the ceiling in an even coat so areas where the paint is thicker may well still not be totally dry and will appear a diffrerent color than other areas. If it still looks blotchy after two weeks, apply another coat.

Reply to
dadiOH