Painting a house (stucco/wood) - advice needed

I'm planning to paint my house and would appreciate some advice on a few issues, as I haven't been able to find specific answers online.

The existing paint is in good shape and is not peeling. It's just faded. The siding is stucco and the trim is rough-sewn wood. There's also a wood patio that needs painting.

The current color of the stucco siding is beige and the new color will be similar in shade. The trim and patio, however, will go from dark to light - it's currently dark brown and will be painting it off-white.

My questions are:

How best to clean the stucco siding? - pressure wash or hose? I've read differing opinions - that pressure washing is bad for stucco (too strong). Others say it's a good idea because it removes loose stucco that may need repair.

If I do pressure wash, What pressure is best? 500 psi? 1500? 2500? I realize it depends on the nozzle adjustment, distance, etc. but I need to decide if I should rent a pro unit or buy a lower pressure home unit.

How to prep wood trim? Pressure wash? At what psi? With or without tsp/ detergent? (I don't see any mildew). How much to sand? Belt sander? orbital? by hand? Trim is rough sewn wood. Should I sand it smooth? Otherwise, sanding will not abrade paint due to rough surface/ crevices. Should I use a wire brush to roughen it up instead? Are there any other tools I should use to save time/effort during prep?

Should I wash after sanding or before? Or before and after?

How long to wait after washing before painting the wood - I've read as long as 7 days and as little as 2. Dry time after washing for stucco?

Best primer to use on wood- Zinsser or Kilz? Something else?

Should I spray or roller the stucco? Or spray, then back roll? What about wood trim? I'll most likely be using Sherwin Williams Duration. How many coats should I use on the stucco? On the wood?

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
plin321

Wash it with a power washer, pressure is not important but a lower pressure unit is slower, 1200 will work, you are washing not blasting so keep a distance. Spraying is fastest but any breeze takes spray far and windows should be taped and covered. Paint in the shade latex will fail on a hot surface, paint the east side after the sun passes, west side early am and south after the sun passes and is wood is cool.

Reply to
ransley

Lucky for you that you didn't.

Don't bother. Just use a broom or some such to knock off loose debris.

Buy your stuff at a S-W paint store and ask the staff for tips, advice on all your questions. They will probably recommend renting an airless spray and taping etc. Keep in mind that the stucco and rough sawn wood is part of what gives the place its character. You don't want to ruin that by making it all smooth and glossy; that would look cheap. Be sure your color scheme doesn't make your house look like the oddball in the neighborhood. Designers and architects (think Frank Lloyd Wright) always make the domicile look like it fits in the environment. That adds value to the property if it ever comes up for sale. Plan well, don't overdo it, and the job will be faster and easier. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

We painted our stucco house several years ago. First hosed it down ... let it dry. We used rollers and the house really sucked up the paint. I had painted wood before and wasn't prepared for how much paint it took to cover stucco with rollers. Anyway, my next door neighbor had her stucco house painted last year. Same age as my house. The painter used a spray machine and the work went twice as fast as using a roller - and it seemed to cover with less paint ...

Don't have any suggestions about the wood. We used the same color it already had on it so our "misses and skips" wouldn't be too obvious.

Reply to
Dottie