Paint with what?

I haven't used that brand, but have seen similar difficulty both by applying high-gloss myself and when a contractor used high gloss paint. IF it is decent paint, thinning it should improve flow and leveling. Penetrol is good stuff that I have used to thin semi-gloss to use in a sprayer. Alkyd paint can be thinned by adding up to

10% Penetrol. Flood.com has like product for latex paint called "Floetrol". Check it out, here:
I assume you are painting interior woodwork? I would never again use latex for interior trim - it is too easy to damage and stain and very tough to sand when it is time to recoat. Some paint mfgs. also recommend alkyd for interior trim.
Reply to
Norminn

I got some Behr high-gloss latex enamel with which to paint some trim.

Using a Peavy brush, roller, or foam applicator all yield god-awful results. Specifically, in the case of the two brushes, the paint looks like it was applied with a fork. Using a roller, the result looks like an alligator hide.

The application was on top of a Behr primer.

Any ideas on how to use this paint to yield an acceptable finish?

Thanks.

------ Failing expert advice, I'm gonna take a bit of trim with the aforementioned application techniques back to the paint store and accuse them of selling an anti-barnacle, boat-bottom treatment instead of paint.

Reply to
HeyBub

Latex is second to oil, and Behr is second to the better latex junk, Peavy makes guitars not brushes.

Reply to
ransley

Sorry. It was a PURDY brush.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've used the Behr top-of-the-line high gloss over the Behr oil primer w/ no problems. In fact, I've been quite pleased w/ it.

Since you're talking Behr, that's HD and they carry Purdy brushes. Purdy makes good (and some not so much) brushes, but need the right one for the job.

I'd never try a roller or foam w/ it, however, and I'd venture the problem w/ the brush may be that it's a natural bristle instead of synthetic. Natural bristle brushes soak up the water and aren't suitable for latex.

Barring that, I'd guess one of three things...well, actually two as two are similar just opposite extremes...

  1. Either it's too hot and/or in direct sun or maybe too cool so it doesn't have time to flow out before drying out, or
  2. It is somewhat thick to flow well or you're not flowing enough paint onto the surface and trying to brush too heavily.

--

Reply to
dpb

You don't say what kind of brush - polyester or natural bristle. I suspect you used a poly brush and you really need a bristle brush . If not, the other way around.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

Good 3rd gen latex is as durable, if not more durable, than Alkyd. Doesn't stink and is easy to clean up. But you NEED to use the right brush.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
clare at snyder dot ontario do

So, I returned to HD and asked for a quart of oil-based, high-gloss enamel.

"We don't have 'high-gloss' enamel," they said.

"I'll take semi-gloss," I countered.

"It only comes in gallons," they parried.

[Cue Monty Python Cheese Shop theme]
Reply to
HeyBub

I used Behr semigloss for panelled doors, using their primer and a medium quality Purdy brush. I found that when it was being applied you could see a lot of brushmarks but it dried extremely smoothly and all brushmarks disappeared. I was extremely happy with the results and felt they were the best I'd ever done -- better than the professionals had done using an air sprayer a few year earlier.

If your unsatisfactory results were evaluated after everything was completely dry, I can only guess that the climate was so arid that the paint dried before the brush strokes had smoothed out. OTOH, if your evaluation is based on the appearance after you've finished applying the paint, wait a day until everything has dried before handling or installing.

Reply to
JimR

Also, what's it going over? Raw wood, primed, 87 coats of doG knows what?