Paint on steel bracket?

A pretty simple question - can I paint a steel bracket with latex paint? I'd use oil if I had it but I've got a gallon of chocolate brown eggshell finish trim paint and don't want to have to go out and get can of matched oil to paint two little angle brackets. The brackets are wirebrushed clean surfaces. Will latex immediately begin the rust process? No matter how fast I dry it (e.g. with a hair dryer)?

The brackets will be in a bathroom and so must be painted.

Many TIA

Martin

After I jotted off this note I thought - wait - TWO coats!

so, stupid, paint with rustoleum - THEN a coat of the trim paint over it.

I'm sorry, I really should re-read for sanity a question before airing it!!

DUUUH!

have a nice weekend Martin