outside faucets

My sister in law has a new home and when I tried her outside faucets, they (both of them) made a whining type noise (not banging). It seemed a higher pitch and louder than what I'm use to hearing. In my house, I might hear a little of this type sound (I think lower pitch and not as loud) when I first turn on the faucet but then I just hear the water running thru the pipes.

What is causing my sister in law's plumbing to make this sound? Is it due to lack of venting or a washer inside the faucet? Thanks.

// doug // website: MyHomeRebate.com "Buy New Homes for Less in Texas"

Reply to
doug

Most likely the washer. It probably changes pitch as you turn it off and on. As long as they are not leaking, no reason to replace the washer unless the noise drives you crazy.

Supply lines are not vented, drain lines are. Supply lines can have anti-hammer legs though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have these (on outside faucets) and they make a hell of a racket. Could not sell a house without them...inspection thingy. I hate the noise and the pitch of it. ( back flow preventer )

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Doug, Do you mean rather "sill c**ks"? DAGS on that, assuming that you've searched on other strings previously.

Then, what type of sill c*ck? Frost-proof? Help us out, here.

barry

Reply to
buffalobill

Thanks all for the help. I think its safe to say it's a washer and tho it doesn't sound great, nothing to really be concerned about.

// doug // website: MyHomeRebate.com "Buy New Homes for Less in Texas"

Reply to
doug

New outside faucets also have anti drain siphon mechanism that often whistles. Idea is to protect water supply from chemicals used outside.

Reply to
Art