Outside faucet leaking - replaced with kit, still leaks

I'm trying to repair an outside faucet. What happens is that when there is any resistance in the line (like even a hose hooked up), water shoots out from around the handle. It gets all over the house and sometimes all over the person trying to work the handle.

So I finally tracked down a replacement kit at a plumbing supply shop, and replaced all the innards of the faucet. But it still leaks! Is this just designed to do this?

Here is a pic of the faucet with the new kit installed.

inside is new except the seat. The whole thing is soldered in and the inside is finished so I can't just easily replace the whole unit with a new one.

Here is what it does when you turn it on:

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
zirconx9

leaks around the handle are easily solved by tightening the nut around the handle 1/2 turn at a time if you have the old parts try reinstalling them

i have never seen a faucet kit like that

Reply to
hallerb

Looks like a backflow prevention faucet partly doing its job. Are you sure its put together properly? Not just the way it was before, but to factory spec?

Reply to
Grandpa

I had the guy at the plumbing supply shop put it together for me to make sure it would be correct. I just unscrewed the old assembly and screwed the new one in.

I guess I'll leave the water turned off for a day and take it back out, then try to make it over to the supply sh> leaks around the handle are easily solved by tightening the nut around

Hmmm its brand new, and I did tighten it all the way in (there's just one 'nut' to turn, you turn the whole thing inward to install it).

Its a Woodford Model 25 I believe:

Could it be a problem with the vacuum breaker? (part 10 on the diagram). I found a post elsewhere on the internet that said in part:

screws onto the

But I'm not sure what part they are taking about that is leaking.

Reply to
zirconx9

From here, it looks like the packing nut has been prevented from fully compressing the packing because older parts of the valve are blocking its travel. Just a guess. Not familiar with that faucet.

SJF