outdoor sign material

Hi,
Our homeowner's organization wants to mount a name sign on our community ho use. Maybe 4ft wide by 2ft high. I had suggested a commercially made sign printed on the usual aluminum/composite board, typical of most stores and commercial establishments. But others want a more hand-made feel and sugge sted a wood-lettered sign mounted on a board. I understand their intention , but think that a hand-made sign would be a maintenance headache, having t o repaint or reseal it annually. Regardless, if we went with something ha nd-made, what would be a good material? Maybe individual letters cut from plastic lumber via a jigsaw (and glued to a board)? Would that get too messy because the letters would melt and fray as they're cut?
All suggestions appreciated.
Regards, Theodore

Have you looked at wooden mailbox signs? Companies custom design them and treat them to keep them looking good.

My suggestion is to let the others handle it. No matter what you end up with, some will not like the result.
Where I worked we had a hand painted sign made, Fifteen years later, it still looks good and only had two coats of clear applied over the years. Sign makers use high quality paints for that reason.
You may find it cheaper in the long run to have a pro do it. Then there is someone aside from you to get blamed when others don't like it. There is always one person that will say they had a better idea.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

to repaint or reseal it annually. Regardless, if we went with something hand-made, what would be a good material?

+1 Ed is correct. You will blamed for everything.
--
Tekkie

replying to millinghill, Iggy wrote: The right exterior Woods are okay, but you're right about the conventional sealing products being extremely poor. I've had wonderful As-Advertised results with One-Time Wood Protector. See: http://onetimewood.com/ If the sign would be in direct sunlight, then you'd get 7-years per treatment of One-Time. But, if your Plastic Lumber idea catches on, don't worry. Anything that's cut-out would need to be filed and sanded to be presentable, even if rustic is the goal.