Routing house sign

Has anyone had any success making a house name sign using a router? I have 'reclaimed' some oak kitchen doors from a skip and rather fancy trying to make a sign.
Is there a technique? Do I need to make some type of jig to get nice looking letters, or do I need to be super careful?
TIA Colin
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:08:22 +0100, "Colin"

Have a poke around the Trend web site. They have lettering stencils if you are looking to do evenly shaped and spaced letters. They also have some jigs if you are mainly looking to do freehand work. There are then cutters of various types such as V and round bottom types. I believe that there may be some PDF files covering how to use these items.
I would practice on a piece of softwood first, not least to see whether you can fit Dunroamin, Cartref or Ambleside into the space.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Colin wrote:

I've routed letters into slate without a jig, but it takes a long time. Cut a tiny bit at a time. Once you are a few mm down, you can start cutting a bit deeper with each pass.
I think a jig would make things a lot easier, but I doubt it'd be worth making one for a one-off project.
--
Grunff

It can be relatively easy. Take a 8mm bit of MDF, or something. Now, in a graphics package that supports outlines, add a really large outline onto the font you've picked, that's the same diameter as the router cutter bearing. (bearing guided cutter) Print out, glue on, and cut away the MDF in the right places. Then simply zip round the edges with the guided cutter.

Sir
What type of bit did you use for this, and what type of slate ? I assume I am not going to be able to copy you using a wood bit, and some rough slate ?
Thanks Rick
Rick Dipper wrote:

It was a standard V groove wood bit, and the slate was a chunk of fairly smoth ex-snooker table slate.
The bit actually looked pretty good at the end of the project, and is still in use now. Slate's quite soft.
--
Grunff

Thanks, I'll have a go.
Rick
Colin wrote:

How about find a suitable font on the computer and type out your sign then print it then carefully cut out the printed parts, leaving the piece of paper with the lettering cut out place paper on wood lightly spay paint the name onto the wood, then use take the router to it?
Sparks...