Which Wood for Outdoor Sign?

I've been commissioned to build and paint a fancy house sign (name, house number) that will be about three-feet wide by two-feet tall. It will be suspended between two posts by eye hooks. I'm undecided as to what kind of wood to use.

The size of the sign rules out a single piece of wood. I'm looking for recommendations on which kind of wood I should use, with rot-resistance a big factor (though the sign will be well primed before decoration and will never be in standing water.) Another concern is joinery and warping. Will biscuits be reliable over the long term, or should I rout tongues and grooves, or join in some other way? TIA!

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Mahogany, white (not red) oak, ipe would be the best choices probably. I don't know the paintability of ipe, it makes oak look light, but it's as weatherproof as any wood out there.

I've never biscuited with Titebond II and don't know if that would make a difference.

Reply to
DarylRos

Redwood or Cypress if you are going to use a natural finish. Beech or vertical grain fir or spruce if you plan on painting.

I would use a finger-joint and glue with TB3 or a waterproof poly, like gorilla or similar glue.

Dave

Reply to
TeamCasa

I'd probably be looking at redwood or cedar. a panel that size is going to want to warp, so consider floating it loose in a frame or adding breadboard ends.

Reply to
bridger

You might find to be helpful. Doesn't list all species--Ipe for example is missing, but has enough to be useful. For your criteria it comes up with some pretty exotic stuff, but cypress is about halfway down the list of matches and mesquite is also there--black mesquite might be a nice choice.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Mark L.

You might want to look into afrormosia if you are going to look at teak. Afrormosia is an African wood that is an excellent teak substitute without all the cost. Ipe would work very well outdoors but would require some pretty strong glue to keep it together. I've seen Ipe 12" wide before. Be sure to seal the ends of it so it doesn't check. You could go with African mahogany, and I have seen pieces 25" wide, 16' long. But lets face it, if you are going to prime the wood, does that mean it will be painted so that the wood itself is hidden? If that is the case, the type of paint you use is almost more important than the wood, and exterior grade plywood would work, with a solid wood trim.

Reply to
bubbahu1

If you're not planning on making use of the wood's decorative quality and are just looking for a stable material, you might consider MDO plywood.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

I second the motion. I was surprised when this wasn't mentioned sooner, it was the last reply to show up for me. I have read, or heard, somewhere that this is what some highway departments use for road signs. MDO gets my vote.

Of course of the OP is not painting the what all the other posters said.

-B

Reply to
Brikp