OT: Would the IRS let us get away with this?

Subject: Justice Clarence Thomas' tax evasion and other illegal activities.

If you have to pay onerous taxes or have the IRS nail you, NO, you could NOT get away with Thomas'' bare-faced defiance of the law.

Chutzpah redefined.

No matter what your political beliefs, you would be well-advised to join the growing chorus demanding that Thomas obey the law just like the rest of us. A Supreme Court Justice is not above the law.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

You got better things to do. See if Louise can fix your leaky toilet.

Reply to
Frank

Once again the village liberal loon is either a liar or incapable of understanding his own link. The letter says absolutely NOTHING about tax evasion. It only refers to a failure to check off the box indicating Clarence Thomas's wife was employed on a financial disclosure form. Unless you believe that the House Majority Leader's Office and Hillsdale College, who were her employers at the time, were paying her under the table, there is no tax evasion issue. Also, with his wife openly employed on Capitol Hill, it's pretty hard to make the case that Thomas was deliberately trying to hide the fact that she was employed.

For true tax evasion, you need look to Treasury Secretary Geithner. And when caught, he only paid the taxes owed that were still within the statute of limitations. He never paid the rest. If he can be be secretary of treasury, which is in charge of tax collection, that sets the standard, does it not?

Reply to
trader4

Higgs Boson wrote the following:

It has nothing to do with taxes. It is a failure to accurately report his wife's employment on the Ethics Committee's required annual disclosure form.

Reply to
willshak

Seems you need to practice more on reading for comprehension rather than hysteria...

Reply to
George

It's called Selective Reading Comprehension Syndrome or SRCS. It's a disease that affects mostly Progressive, Liberal, Leftist, Commiecrat Freaks and it's not contagious unless you have been unable to overcome the damage done by a government school education. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

So now those local school districts with their locally elected board members are part of the Communist takeover plot as well?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

The two people who signed the letter, Louise Slaughter (D-NY) and Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) display the typical Democratic notion about a woman's rightful place. Justice Thomas does not control his wife's finances. It is none of Justice Thomas's business how much money his wife makes or how she makes it. He cannot compel his wife to do anything.

These facts are apparently at variance with the Democrats idea of how a family should be run - the wife should be subservient to the husband's wishes.

I have no doubt they were sitting around the breakfast table one morning and husband Thomas says to his wife: "Dear, I have a form to fill out. What did you make last year?" And she replied: "None of yours or anybody else's business."

Had Thomas been a Democrat, he would not have had to ask that question; she would have been handing him her paycheck every week. Or at least that's evidently what some Democrats think.

Reply to
HeyBub

The article says nothing about the IRS or taxes.

You would be well-advised to take your medications.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Were do you think the teachers who belong to unions come from? And what political party do most of the teachers belong to. The P.L.L.C.F. have been infiltrating the government schools for decades. ^_^

"Education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." Josef Stalin

"Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted." Vladimir Lenin

"The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense." Karl Marx

"We must create out of the younger generation, a generation of Communists. We must turn children, who can be shaped like wax, into real, good Communists.... We must remove the children from the crude influence of their families. We must take them over and, to speak frankly, nationalize them. From the first days of their lives they will be under the healthy influence of Communist children's nurseries and schools. There they will grow up to be real Communists." Communist Party Education Workers Congress

This is the kind of rhetoric our President was raised on. He learned it from his parents and the types of people they associated with from the time he was a small boy all through his formative years.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Preceeded by learning to post politics to newsgroups which contain the word "politics" in their name...... I dont see that word anywhere in "alt.home.repair".

Reply to
generic.homeowner

If you don't pay attention to what the politicians are up to, you can lose your home. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I don't see the IRS in the article.

The issue is a member of the judiciary not reporting that his wife was working for congress. I'm not sure what the rules are, but the judiciary and the legislature are supposed to be separate branches of government.

Doesn't sound like the worst thing going on lately...

Reply to
despen

***Thanks for the only rational post on this matter. Yes, one of the issues is Thomas' failure to report that his wife is a (powerful and well-paid) lobbyist. Remember 2000+ years ago in Rome who said "Caesar's wife must be above reproach." Don't tell me that pillow talk (if they have any?) doesn't affect the votes of Thomas, who is dumb as a post; basically Scalia's poodle.

The IRS reference is embedded in the article's revealing that Thomas abruptly changed the way he filled out his returns; for years he never listed his wife's salary. Just blew off the IRS rules, and, it seems, got away with it. Some people are just more equal than others, I guess.

It's clear that most of the (angry, partisan) posts on this thread come from people who never bothered to read the article carefully. That article is only one of many outraged articles and comments on Thomas' chutzpah, thinking -- perhaps correctly -- that he can get away with lying to the IRS, where we cannot.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

What is clear is that you are trying to backpeddle. You did write "Justice Clarence Thomas' tax evasion"?

Where exactly would one find any reference to your hysterical claims in the article you provided?

Reply to
George

Perhaps you should re-read the letter. The IRS was not involved in the complaint agains Justice Thomas. What was at issue was his financial disclosure form supplied to the Judicial Conference.

But I can understand his confusion. The way I read the act:

It is required that he report his wife's income (if she tells him what it is) as follows:

102 CONTENTS OF REPORTS (a) Each report filed pursuant to section 101 ... shall include a full and complete statement with respect to the following: (1) (A) The source, type, and amount or value of income... (B) from any source (OTHER THAN FROM CURRENT EMPLOYMENT BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT), and the source, date, and amount of honoraria... [emphasis added]

Now since his wife was employed by the United States government, it would seem any salary she got would not be necessary to report. Ultimately she worked for the Heritage Foundation and a lobbying group, Liberty Central. The salary she made in these two endeavors is nobody's business. Including her husband's.

Again, you're getting all exercised over a mistake. The IRS was not involved in Justice Thomas's alleged transgression.

Oh, and even if he did not follow ANY of the rules of the Ethics in Government Act, there is no penalty anyway. Such sanctions, if any are found to exist, are solely the purview of the Judicial Conference. And, as a sitting federal judge, he cannot be removed by the Judicial Conference nor can he be fined.

Reply to
HeyBub

Is "Lower Alabama" the same as Louisiana?

We even have a token Democrat congresscritter! The news reports that she's protesting for illegals, today.

Reply to
krw

The RR is a really nice place. Don't tell anyone from the Northeast!

...just lookin' at the abbreviations.

Terri Sewer - cotton picker!

Reply to
krw

For God's sake, don't tell them it's *really* nice at the end of September.

Worth more than Terri Sewer, for sure.

Reply to
krw

Were they sufficiently beaten? Or just ignored because the cops don't like to touch that stuff with their hands?

Reply to
HeyBub