OT Won't let me unsubscribe, Notarized will?

Get this, I needed a visiting (traveling? mobile?) notary and google gave me thumbtack.com, which asked only for the zip code and my email address. Then it gave a list, I contacted one through... I guess it was thumbtack, she emailed me and gave me her phone number. Good, huh?

But thumbtack has emailed me 5 times, only the first and fourth of which included an Unsubscribe line. That's enough, right? Well, it requires your password and I never chose one or got one, and I'm not going to subscribe just so I can unsubscribe! Forced to make a filter in the email program to send their mail to trash.

BTW, someone suggested an online notary. I don't know how that works but even if it were legal in your state, would you do Last Will with an online notary? If something goes wrong, I wouldn't be alive to insist it's my signature, like with most other notarized documents, and the purpose of notarizing was so the witnesses wold not be bothered again, plus they are almost as old as I am and could die first.

Reply to
micky

It is probably best to use a face to face notary, even if you could find someone to stamp a document online. That may not even be legal in most states. It is not that hard to find them. Your bank should have one along with most UPS stores and just about any car dealer. They are everywhere.

Reply to
gfretwell

Is a holograph will an option where you live ?

When my wife & me re-did our wills & POAs a few years ago -

- with a real lawyer - the whole she-bang was only about $ 500. 2 Last Will & Testament 4 POAs It seemed pretty reasonable to me. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I used my insurance agent. No cost either. Sometimes Smokey Stover would do the notary too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"If something goes wrong, I wouldn't be alive to insist it's my signature, like with most other notarized documents,"

Care to explain that? If your signature was notarized in person, and you were dead, how would be able to insist it was your signature? You're dead.

Besides, why would you ever have to insist that a notarized signature is yours? That's the point of getting the signature notarized.

"A notarization is generally an assurance made by a Notary Public that a document's signature is genuine, that the signer acted without duress and that the signer intended the terms of the document to be in full force and effect."

Why not go to a bank? e.g.

Marilyn Manson

One of our lawyer sons is the notary for his office. He comes to the house and is free. Can't beat that.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I said that about "most other notarized documents". Not every signature is on a will.

Sure, but things can still go wrong. What if the notary was a fraud, or her authority had expired or been revoked. What if she turned out to be my cousin but I didn't know it, or they said I knew -- that happens -- and the other side charged collusion.

If you don't think things can go wrong, check out the 2000 or 2020 presidential election aftermath.

I called my stockbroker and they won't let anyone in the building. Some of the branches of the very bank below are closed for lack of staff, because of Corona, and I doubt they'd do this either.

All this is really another topic. I asked if anyone would use an online notary for a will. Everyone is willing to use a notary who is right there.

Reply to
micky

Online is legal in a lot of states and in Maryland, and it's darn convenient, if it works. I might use it for anything but a will.

I contacted him but he doesn't do wills online.

Anyhow, the real topic of this thread was that Thumbtack won't let me unsubscribe. They handle far more than notaries, but nothing I want.

Reply to
micky

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but reading tabs I'd selected but not read before I came across:

"Do I need a surety bond?

Maryland does not require Notaries to get a surety bond. Why should I get an E&O insurance policy?

Errors and omissions (E&O) insurance policies are strongly recommended for Notaries due to the unforeseen mistakes that might arise during notarizations. Unlike surety bonds that protect the public, E&O policies limit your financial exposure should you make an error or omission on a notarized document."

So the E&O insuance protects the notary but the surety bond protects the public... but surety bonds are not reequired.

Maybe a bigger problem is not when I hire a notary and soemthinggoes wrong but when someone else signs something in my name and somehow gets it notarized (a girlfriend borrows my id** and lends it to her boyfriend?) But everything is subject to problems.

**Slightly related, last night I talked to a friend, 80-years old and in enormous pain before she saw the doctor got a call from someone about a new furnace 3 days ago. She's so embarrassed but was groggy or part way out of her mind with pain, and she said yes and two of them came over the next day, a man and woman, and afaict she dddn't sign anything but she did give them her social security number, and I guess her name, address, and phone number. She said they were well-rehearsed and very smooth, especially the woman. She's called the police and she's going to make a report when they come over today or Monday, and she will call the fraud unit. I don't know how much they can hurt her, but two of them came over so they must think it's worth it.

She lives in an expensive, historic n'hood and her house is about 150 years old, and afaict all her n'bors have a lot of money, so they may think she's wealthy, but the house is in bad condition and she has very little money in the bank. Can they intercept her social security checks? How can they steal from her?

Reply to
micky

Can you log on at Thumbtack and change your e-mail address to something that doesn't exist?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I can't do anything without logging on, but for that, I'd have to subscribe. It wants a password to log on, and I've never picked one, and I don't want to.

IIRC, you can't write them either if you're not logged on. I think this will be more and more common.

Reply to
micky

We all do things we don't want to do.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I can just mark it as spam in my AOL mail client and I won't see them anymore. Surely your ISP has a similar process.

Reply to
gfretwell

You could probably use T-tack to find someone to sharpen and balance your lawnmower blade and to fix your washing machine.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

AOL...just out of instinct I glanced over at the calendar on the wall to see what year this is.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

The E-mail client is pretty good The spam filter seems to work as well as anyone's and I have had this address for close to 30 years. Changing at this point would involve a lot of people. I had dial up until a couple years ago and that was handy after Irma when broadband was down. POTS always seems to work.

Reply to
gfretwell

The continuing saga.

My friend's husband picked Sunday at 2 to do this. It was already 9PM Friday and I didn't want to call so late to the notary I had talked to, so I did know her name and I found a notary website she was listed on, filled out the form and sent it, but it said "Message not sent - potential SPAM detected." I didn't do anything to cause that. SMH I tried a 3 times, started a second one and tried 4 more times, noticed I could register, registered, and tried four more times, always the same message. SMH harder.

So I called her at 10:02. She answered, wasn't impatient but can't do it because she's going away tomorrow and won't be back until Wednesday, for a funeral. I hope it wasn't someone you're close to. She was my mother.

78 years old, good health, double vaccinated, boosted, staying indoors to avoid people, woke up Saturday, felt bad, ambulance to the hospital, died Tuesday from Covid.

I hear it's like the flu.

Reply to
micky

Le samedi 29 janvier 2022 à 05:20:05 UTC+2, micky a écrit :

Our American health company ?? located in the province of Las Vegas, offers the best brand and with good quality and the sale is in greater with low price when the large quantity

- Masks

- Cloth Mask

- Gloves

- Thermometers

- Face Shields

- Sanitizer Transit Time Internationally Generally, orders shipped internationally are in transit for 4 - 22 days via standard methods. This varies greatly depending on the courier and service you have selected. We are able to offer a more specific estimate when you are choosing your courier and shipping service at checkout. We accept the following forms of payment: Visa / Mastercard / American Express / Discover / PayPal / Bitcoin / Litecoin

stars news