OT Why do parents send children away to boarding school?

OT

Why did/do parents send their HS or younger children away to boarding school?

Like this one,

My mother could never understand and I don't either. Don't they like their children? Don't they want to spend time with them?

People bemoan when the children go off to college or get married and move out of the house. This is the opposite.

Reply to
micky

A lot of reasons. Because it's expected of them (in certain social classes) is a big one.

Because their children can have opportunities that are not otherwise available to them, including networking with more powerful families.

If you google "why boarding school" you'll find a lot of pros and cons.

Cindy H amilton

Reply to
angelica...

Seems like it is to make up for their own shortcomings. AFAIK, most boarding schools are strong on discipline but do give a good education. Good or bad? I really don't know.

I do know one person that did spend a few years at a military school. He spent his first three years in an orphanage, high school years away at school. I don't know how much is nature versus nurture. He turned out to be a success in life, raised a good family, made the world a better place in many ways.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you had a kid like Donnie Boy you'd want to senf him to boarding school too - - - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That would make a good writing assignment for students in a creative writing class.

"If you had a kid like Donnie Boy you'd want to _____________________"

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Turn back time and pull out - - -