OT: What up with 9V Alkaline Batteries?

[snip]

I call it "Damn Stupid Time", considering that it isn't good for anything but complicating things. Also, I never accepted that weird use of the word "anal".

Reply to
Sam E

I'd prefer if we stayed on DST all year.

LOL about "anal". It took me many years to accept it. How it evolved into that meaning is beyond me. OK, I just googled the origins of it and now I'm even more confused! Thankfully modern psychology doesn't take Freud seriously.

Tony

Indiana time zones are confusing and it depends on who is in power at the time.

The whole story is here:

Basically the counties near Chicago want to be on Chicago time the ones near Kentucky want to be on Kentucky time and a lot of the farmers in-between don't want daylight savings time at all.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf
[snip]

I remember one suggestion that does away with DST completely in the Eastern and Mountain time zones, and keeps it all year in the Central and Pacific time zones. The effect of this is halving the number of time zones.

Other than that, it doesn't really matter if we have DST 0% or 100% of the time. Either avoids the semi-yearly confusion.

If you need more time in the morning, GET UP EARLIER! It makes a lot more sense than messing with our clocks.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

For those that want to keep DST, CHANGE THE STUPID NAME! Stop trying to delude people into thinking the government could actually change the universe like that.

Reply to
Sam E

Sounds like a Demonicrat plan. Don't fix the problem, change the name and feechur it. You know, "Change we can believe in". ...gotta fit "hope" in there somewhere.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I -hope- the US can survive Obama's -change- .

Reply to
Jim Yanik

You honestly think the US can survive WITHOUT change? Get your head out of your ass. Who was in power when all the crap that hit the fan was released? Not Obama. Put the blame where it belongs and give Obama some respect for having the GUTS to try to do something about it. I hope he nails the Goldman Sachs' of the world and has the guts to put some teeth inlegislationthat limits the damage those egomaniacs can do to the world economy by buting some real "regulation" back on the banking business and others that have the capability of totally running the USA off the rails and taking much of the rest of t he world with it.

Reply to
clare

It cannot survive the tripling of the debt within a decade, a debt greater than the GDP, if that's what you mean by "change". Obama does.

He certainly hasn't helped. The deficit is triple GW's. ...and it's not a one-year deal. He's still piling it on. You're the one who needs to get his head out of his ass.

Yeah, he's doing something about the problem, he's tripling it. ...and he isn't even close to being done.

Too funny. Goldman Sachs is Obama's pet. Look at who is in the government.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I said "OBAMA'S change". We do need "change",but not in the direction Comrade Obama is taking us.

Comrade Obama's DemocRAT CONGRESS was in charge of the budget for the last

2 years of the Bush presidency. They also BLOCKED reform for Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac.

THAT is why "the crap hit the fan",along with the natural reaction of businesses to communists being elected,particularly when the commies keep on talking about HOW they are going to change things. Businesses naturally act to protect themselves by hiring freezes,layoffs,spending less. they raise prices when taxes rise and energy costs more or is less available. Everything Comrade Obama has done is an attack on businesses/capitalism,but it's no surprise to those who did their research -before- the election. The Comrade-in-Chief gave plenty of clues,despite his hiding of his vital records.

Obamabots are clueless.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

-snip-

While I can't say I agree with it- I think it was a Republican who touted the 'deficits are good' theory a few years ago.

But tell me how bad the economy is under Obama- In 14 months he reversed job loss numbers to what they were 14 months back in the Bush administration- Great chart here;

Stock market has regained 70% of its losses- it is now at Sept 2008 levels- better than when Obama took office-- and on a whole new trajectory.
Exports are up, manufacturing is up, retail is up- and even employment, the last indicator to show signs of life is ever-so-slightly recovered. It was late summer of '83 when the unemployment rate got back below 10%-

Found this chart while looking for an unemployment chart-

Shows Reagan's approval ratings on the same chart as unemployment- When unemployment hit 11%, his approval was at it's lowest.

So tell me how Obama has ruined the economy?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Damn moonbat liberal confusing the issue with facts.

(FYI - your facts will have no impact on the tools of the neo-cons and their uber-class masters. The tools have been brainwashed (maybe it just took a light rinse) using clever, but classic techniques used by despotic regimes for thousands of years. It's actually quite an interesting experiment - at least it would be, it Democracy wasn't being sold to the highest bidder with those tools/fools enabling it).

Reply to
me

Liar. No one said that debt, per se, was "good". Debt, at least until some point is manageable. When you're spending twice what you're bringing home it's not manageable, in any sense of the word.

There has been no "reversed job loss numbers". Are you saying that Bush was a great President? Can I have that in writing, signed?

Have you ever heard of a "jobless recovery"? We're not off this roller-coaster, yet.

Look at the U6 numbers, and come back. We haven't bottomed out yet.

Until Reagan got inflation under control, no. Once the back of inflation was broken, the economy took off like a rocket, for twenty years.

"Stimulus", "Health Care", and he isn't done yet; "Cap and Tax", "Immigration reform",...

Reply to
krw

That's an expected response from a brainwashed tool like you.

But, you miss my point. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. Tools like you are hopelessly brainwashed into believing the rhetoric that has been drilled into them daily by their masters. Deprogramming would require far more than a few newsgroup posts. Enjoy your life as a tool, and keep fighting that big, bad, enemy known as the Democrats. I hear they're responsible for everything that's not perfect in your life.

Someday you might wake up to see how easily and completely you've been manipulated into being a pawn of the uber-rich who pull the strings for the neo-Republican party - but I doubt it.

Reply to
me

Facts are such difficult things to ignore... Reagan financed his expansion through massive deficit spending. He set record levels (with GWB increasing those, and Obama likely setting a higher record). The Reagan deficits came home to roost in the GHWB administration, when poor George "read my lips, no new taxes" was forced to recognize that the wild spending and excessive tax cuts of his predecessor had left the country in a bind and he had to raise taxes. It was a very short lived expansion and died as soon as the bill came due.

Reply to
me

Actually the Democrat Congress did all that. Remember the Great Glee they had when they pronounced EVERY RR budget as dead on arrival. Also there is that little Constitutional thingy that says Congress does the budget. The President has little actual power (especially since the Supremes decided sequestration wasn't legal under Nixon) short of vetoing everything and shutting down the government. Reagan was responsible for the deficits only to the extent that he caved really early when he did try to close down the government and the Press started showing little kids upset because Yellowstone or the Washington Monument was closed down.

The

The Budget Mugging. Where the Congress refused to meet with the President unless he undertook a "bipartisan" way of doing things. So, he was bipartisan, went along with THEIR requests for tax cuts, which they then went about and soundly beat him about the face and head with... and show where the cuts were. I think this very much flavored GW's outlook on the theory of bipartisanship. The main problem has always been that spending every year has increased more than the increase in revenue.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I think your memory is tainted highly by your own politics. However, I will agree strongly with your last statement. I will also note that you can't keep financing expansions with massive government spending (Reagan, Bush II, and Obama... with some allowance for a recovery jump start - only).

Until we get a government (that means both parties that is NOT beholden to Corporate Welfare, Individual Welfare, Redistributing the country's wealth to the uber-rich, and the principle of "anything that brings money to my district is OK", we are hosed.

Reply to
me

USA went from "world's greatest creditor nation" to "world's greatest debtor nation" in a mere 4 years under administration of only one USA President, namely Reagan.

I do blame in part the Democrat party failings that the Rebublicans campaigned against and did not reverse when they had a chance or two to do so.

Don Klipstein

That may well be a part of the "explaination," but it used to be quite easy to find AA cells priced at $.25 (4/$1.00). Now you have to look around. The $dollar store is the only place where you are find them.

The places where we routinely picked up discount AAs aren't as consumer friendly anymore.

It could well just be inflation.

After all, the federal government claims that it costs more than $1.00 to make 100 cent pieces (even when they use zink with copper plating.)

Your AA cell is a bit smaller than 25 cent pieces. I can well understand that selling it at retail for $.25 might be a problem.

Reply to
John Gilmer

With a major exception being a substantial portion of the Clinton Administration, which even included debate as to how to "spend the surplus".

As for modern annual spending increase by government - in USA, a significant part of that is in an area specific to USA, namely employer contributions to premiums for "private industry" health insurance in this world's only nation that is a prosperous (even if downturningly so) industrial-or-former-so democracy!

Don Klipstein