OT What is this? #

On 3/13/2016 3:43 PM, Retired wrote:

After we drove King George out, we really #ed his ass?
A pint's a # the world around?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

ur

What has his donkey ever done to you?

Not with alcohol duty it bloody isn't. Why should the government get money when I drink? The brewery did the hard work, not them.
-- My wife and I were watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire while we were in bed. I turned to her and said, "Do you want to have sex?" "No," she answered. I then said, "Is that your final answer?" She didn't even look at me this time, simply saying, "Yes...." So I said, "Then I'd like to phone a friend." And that's when the fight started...

72# = 72 pounds. #72 = number 72. My dad used to refer to some distances as 40 or 80 rods. We still use gallons, pints, quarts, fluid ounces etc. Miles, yards, feets and inches. A meter in my world measures electrical stuff.
Most of us might be crazy but it's the crazy people that invent things.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw.

That must make school hell. We can change from one thing to another, like metres to kilometres simply by multiplying or dividing by 1000.

Meter, metre.

Wise words.
--
My neighbour asked if he could use my lawnmower. I told him of course he could, so long as he didn't take it out of my garden. -- Eric Morecambe

On 3/13/2016 1:52 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Dash, pinch, tsp, tbsp, jigger, gill, etc.

Why? 2T = 1oz 2oz = "double" 2 doubles = gill 2 gills = cup 2 cups = pint, 2 pints = halfG, 2 halfG = G, etc.
But, most folks don't care. They buy things in a "familiar size" and think of that thing *in* that familiar size.
E.g., flour comes in 5 lb sacks; sugar (recently) in 4 lb. OJ comes in (nominally) 56 oz containers.
Do you buy your ketchup by the liter? (I suspect ketchup, here, is sold in a dozen or more different "sizes") What about your horseradish? And, are your spices sold in 1g, 10g and 100g units? Never "3g" or "7g"?
We also don't need to drag out a *scale* to bake things as we KNOW that chemistries tend to require common rations (e.g., 2:1, 4:1, etc.) and can use volumetric measures (instead of laddling ingredients onto a scale).
How big is an "egg"? Do you have metric dozens of eggs? Do you have 100 minutes in your hours? 100 days in your years?
"That must make school HELL!" -- having to remember TWO different schemes of measurement, one that deals with radix 10 and others that deal with 12's, 24's, 60's, 365's, etc.

Really? How many stones in a kg? How many 0's in a Billion?

Way too complicated. Metric is made that way for a reason. You seem to have chosen things that have 2 of something else in them. That is hardly ever the case. Yards in a mile? Pounds in a stone?

Easier when everything is in the same measure, either litres or kg.

All sorts of sizes, but we know what a gram is. The UNIT is always the same.

We can do that if we like. But a scale is easier to get that 4:1 ratio correct instead of guessing by how big the pile is.

It would be easier.

At least we made some of it easier.

Why would we use stones and kg?

--
O'Hare Approach Control to a 747: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound."
United 239: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this... I've got the little Fokker in sight."
On 3/13/2016 2:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

Do you really think people *care* how many yards are in a mile? We buy *fabric* by the yard. We drive our cars *miles*. The fact that they are related is a consequence of the fact that they are both used to measure distances.
If you build a picket fence, are the slats 0.1 meters apart? Are each of them 1.0 meters tall?
Why do you have all those pesky other integers between 1 and 10? And, 10 and 100? Why not just label your "rulers" with a logarithmic scale: it's either 1mm, 10mm, 100mm or 1m. Anything else must make school HELL!

Why? If I tell someone I bought a "half gallon" of OJ, they know exactly what I mean! They can visualize the size, shape and weight of the container in their mind. The fact that it *isn't* a "half gallon" isn't even important to them!
They buy a "sack of flour". Probably know that it is 5 pounds. But, that's beside the point. Esp as flour tends to be consumed in quantities of *cups*! Do you think people know how many cups of flour are in a 5 pound sack? Do you think they care? "I need to buy flour" or "I've got enough flour for this recipe" That;s all it takes. We don't weigh the remaining flour and check to see if it's enough for the next Rx we intend to make.
I guess our brains are capable of more complex assessments than expecting everything to "end in zero"...

Metric chickens?
Do you even *know* that there is "no such thing" as a "large egg"?
How do you grade your fruit? Measure the circumference and sort based on the nearest decimeter? Or, are "large oranges" no more precious than "tiny oranges"??

And, when you have a third person show up for dinner, do you scale the recipe (that "feeds two") up by a factor of *10*?
I guess we have learned to use *all* the numbers, on this side of the pond. Not just the "easy ones"!

d> wrote:

.net> wrote:

cup

to have

ever the

How big is an acre? Try to imagine it in terms of square yards. Not easy.

It's when you're comparing a large size with a small size it gets difficult. For example how many pints of milk can you get from a 7 gallon drum?

There's the problem again, you buy a sack of flour. How many cups can you get out of it?

You need to know how much of your recipe you can make with each sack.

Our numerical system is base 10, it makes sense to do calculations based on 10.

he same.

io correct

Obviously everything can't be made metric.

WTF‽ Of course there is. There will be measurement for it to qualify as such.

You buy them by the kg.

We use the same numbers, but we don't have to remember how many of each thing goes into each other thing.
-- Peter is listening to "Pogues with Sinead O'Connor - I'm a man you don't meet every day"
On 3/13/2016 4:02 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

We don't imagine acres in terms of square yards. I doubt many people want to cover their lawns with FABRIC!
How many liters in a swimming pool? How many liters does your BATHTUB hold? (presumably most homes HAVE bathtubs -- wouldn't their owners want/need to know how much water they can contain??)
Why are water heaters 40G, 50G, 80G, etc. Why not 150liters? (Ooops! Make that 100 liters cuz 150 is such an "odd" number!)

I don't know anyone who buys milk in 7 gallon drums. But, there are 8 pints in a gallon, so I'd guess 56.
How many thumbtacks in a kg of thumbtacks? How many sheets of paper in a kg of paper? How many sheets would you need to cover your back yard with paper??

We don't care. How many servings of french fries can you salt with a kg of salt? How many hotdogs can you dress with a liter of mustard?
How many nails in a pound of 6d nails? Or, do you buy nails "per each"? Ditto screws? Other hardware?

I have *one* recipe that uses 5 pounds (plus 2C) of flour. Every other recipe uses some handful of cups (typ 3).

Yes. 3 * 7 = 21 radix 10. What's so hard about that?

No, there isn't. There is a large *dozen* but not a large *egg*.

And, you don't sort "large" (premium) from "small"?

Bye, troll!

d> wrote:

lid> wrote:

am..net>

:

cup

em to have

y ever the

easy.

want

It is convenient when comparing how many times bigger someone's land is to yours, when one of you has a lot more of it.

hold?

d to

Those are very useful when working out how long it will take to heat or fill one.

I've never heard a water heater called any of those things.

ficult.

So much easier when it's 10 or 100 for everything.

Why are you confusing weight with numerical amounts?

n you get

You would if you owned a restaurant.

"?

We buy a pack of 100 or 1000 nails. Why the fuck would we weigh them? I know for a project I will need a certain number of them. So many per plank of wood etc.

Much easier when everything is in g and kg.

sed on 10.

Remembering how many of each thing is in each bigger thing.

the same.

atio correct

o qualify as such.

Yes there is. I can buy small medium or large eggs.

I pick up the ones I want from the shelf and put them in a bag, then weight them. I pay so much per kg.
Premium oranges would be on a different shelf.

he

ch thing

And here I was thinking you were at least capable of a sensible discussion, even if you are wrong.
-- Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.
On 03/13/2016 07:31 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

150,000 milliliters
[snip]
How many inches are in a light year? (you don't have to answer if you think a 'light year' is time)

372500000000000000.
--
Q. What's hairy on the outside, wet on the inside, begins with a "C" and ends with a "T"?
A. A coconut.
On 03/16/2016 05:19 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:

I like that kind of thing. Somewhere I remember about a school kid saying:
What starts with "F", ends with "K", and is a whole lot of fun?
The teacher was a lot less upset when she heard that the answer was "firetruck".
There was this at the bottom of a page in "Reader's Digest":
I'm about 8 inches long, hairy at one end and with a hole in the other end. I go in and out all day, and when I come out I'm covered in white goo.
Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm a toothbrush.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I don't know how city people measure lot sizes. We measure farm ground in terms of sections (640 A) , half sections (320 A) , quarter sections (160 A), then 80s and 40s. A parcel of ground for sale might be advertised as a quarter but containing 156.83 acres. The odd numbers are because the roadways are included in the general description I gave at the start. Oh, almost forgot. A section is one square mile.
On 03/13/2016 09:15 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[snip]

I don't use things that make me into a spammer.

Easy enough to turn off. I use it too, and mine doesn't spam.
--
The easiest way to find something lost around the house is to buy a replacement.

[brain explodes] FFS go metric.
--
My childbirth instructor says it's not pain I'll feel during labour, but pressure. Is she right?
Yes, in the same way that a tornado might be called an air current.
On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 7:02:37 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:

Half the size of the property on which my house is located.

The largest size container of milk sold in the grocery store is 1 gallon. Nobody cares about 7 gallon drums.

18 or 19, depending on how it's packed when you measure it in a standard measuring cup. Not that any home cook very often uses more than 4 cups of flour, or maybe 8 for a big batch of bread.

About 10 times a typical recipe of most things. Or a great deal of gravy, which requires only a couple of tablespoons of flour, depending on how much dripping you have to go with it. Cindy Hamilton
On 03/14/2016 02:31 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

There's a pond on my land, that covers about 2 acres (3 now since we've just had a lot of rain). So, usually an acre is about half that pond. That's close enough.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 03/13/2016 04:44 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

The basic unit of time is the second. For smaller amounts of time they use metric prefixes.
I sometimes think of what it would like to use metric prefixes for larger units, like kiloseconds.
After 86.4 kiloseconds you run into the day, a natural period of time that doesn't fit into this metric stuff. Reality gets in the way.
How about forgetting about seconds, and use days. Then you have the milliday, (which is still longer than a minute). A microday would be the period of time we used to call 86.6ms (milliseconds).
BTW, in our system the average year is 365.2425 days long. Unexpectedly, that IS a whole number of seconds. There are 31,556,736 seconds in the average year. That's about 31.5 megaseconds per year.
1 gigasecond is approx. 31.69 years. 1 terasecond is approx. 31.69 millennia.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/