OT What do you call these?

OT What do you call those things that water farm yards.

I want to read more about them.

They can be 800 feet wide or more, in sections 80, maybe 100 feet wide, and they hve engines for each set of wheels, which use big truck tires, which are synchronized so they advance the same amount, in order to keep the line straight.

Who of you have never seen one of these?

They use them on the Eastern Shore of maryland, and a lot of other places, I think

Reply to
micky

RonNNN

You think right. They're used in many, many large industrial farms as well as privately owned farms.

Thinking of buying one?

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

He is talking about the irrigator they use for rectangular fields but the same principle. The wheels are regulated to keep it going straight by the angle to the one next to it, all water powered.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes. I'm going to become the cotton king of Maryland.

This time, I've turned off AVG's watching usenet. I thought it was already off, and they may have turned it back on without telling me, but maybe not.

Reply to
micky

"irrigation systems" - and they water fields, not "farm yards"

Reply to
clare

Wheel lines. Never moved pipe by hand, did you? It gets old fast.

Reply to
rbowman

There's a little bit here about how the wheel lines work if anyone is curious. There are linear move versions of center pivots. Seed corn companies like those because they can apply water more uniformly and it's easier to make up test plots into even sized rectangles.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yeah, but center pivots are more interesting from 20,000 feet AGL. They look like four leaf clovers if there are lines in four adjacent fields.

Reply to
rbowman

You are more patient with this guy than I could ever be...

Reply to
Tekkie®