OT. what are cuticle clippers for?

I've always thought they were for cutting off the little piece of skin that is sometimes at the right or left end of a nail. But it fanally occurred to me that I only have that once a year or less and even then I think it's becauase I do bad things with my fingernail, things most people don't do.

My mother had a pair of them and I know she never mistreated her fingers.

So do you or your wives have one of these things; how often do you have a use for it? Is it just for that little stub of skin at the front corner of a nail?

Reply to
micky

I beg of you: create a bookmark that points to google. Or duckduckgo. Or make it your home page when you open your browser, or open a new tab in your browser.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Cuticle clippers are purely cosmetic...like the Venus razor.

Labia Majora

There was no video on the ad I saw, and it didn't occur to me that there would be one elsewhere, even though I couldn't imagine what they were for, other than what I said.

Wow. What a silly, maybe horrific thing to do to oneself! Pushing the skin at the root of the nail back. Why? Is there a need for that? Does someone want to erect an office building? A shopping center? What benefit does 0.5 mm. of extra nail do anyone in place of the skin that is already there?

I thought I "mistreated" my nails by not use nail trimmers regularly or properly, but in my entire life, I've never had the need to mess with anything but those front corners (and them rarely). All ten look fine. And my toes too.

Am I just lucky? Are women plagued by RSGC, rampant skin growth of the cuticle? Does it make it hard to type? To put on finger rings? I just googled the RSGC Foundation, and it says this is mostly a problem in 3rd world countries, but there are cases in the USA. Now I feel guilty that I've been callous. My heart goes out to all those with excessive cuticle formation (ECF).

Reply to
micky

It is just another symptom of things society has done to convince women and some men to do in the quest for some perceived extra level of beauty. If a woman is engaging and personable I might not even notice if her fingernails are painted. I am certainly not going to make any judgement based on cuticle maintenance.

Reply to
gfretwell

Bony ass women are usually high maintenance and sickly.

Reply to
gfretwell

"Everything" is on the internet.

What are cuticle clippers used for

Plug it into a search engine. Anybody with half a brain can do that.

It's not horrific. I find that when I let my cuticles do their own thing, it's easier for painful cracks to form in the cuticle. A little pushing, a little trimming, and it's all good.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

I dated a girl who didn't seem extremely thin when I looked at her, but when I sqeezed her rear, I could feel her pelvis bone. I really disliked that. Thinking about it almost made me sick. (Still does.) But she had good cuticles and that made up for it.

I can tell that I have pelvic bones when I press on my side, but when I touch/squeeze my bottom, there is no evidence of it. AFAIK even when I was normal weight, there was no bone in there. Just nice rubbery stuff. That's the way it should be. I don't want to know about someone's innards.

Reply to
micky

I think someone was pushing my brain back a half millimeter and using cuticle clippers to trim it.

But what is the point of newsgroups if the same qustions are relegated to the web only?

Wow. I've never had a crack there, let alone a painful crack. I guess I am lucky.

I'm glad it works for you.

Reply to
micky

What is the point of skipping the web and asking random personal hygiene questions on alt.home.repair?

Why take the difficult route when the easy way is available? As you've seen, there's precious little knowledge of cuticle clippers here.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Including the words "personal" and "hygiene" makes it sound like a truly personal question, maybe even an improper one, when I think it's only a home repair question. These clippers are home-use tools just like needle-nose pliers are. And much of what we do to maintain and repair our bodies is the same as we do for our houses.

I thought there was quite a bit.

Reply to
micky

Personal hygiene is everything from washing your ass to moisturizing your face. It's taking care of your body.

One doesn't repair one's house with cuticle clippers.

Compared to where you started out, yes. But the biggest slug of information came from me doing your googling for you.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Can you cit component leads with them? I suppose I do it backwards and trim my toenails with micro-shears.

In the movie 'The Last indian' he uses a die grinder. I've thought about that but I don't know if I'm steady enough with a Dremel.

Reply to
rbowman

On Mon, 3 May 2021 20:07:37 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

If you are on Medicare and diabetic you can go to a podiatrist every 90 days and get ones foot nails cut and smoothed; with a Dremel. You need a nice appearance for those summer sandals.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 5 May 2021 06:09:23 -0700, Bob F posted for all of us to digest...

Rut roh, you are gonna make him plonk you. I have been telling him this for years so I am persona non grata.

Reply to
Tekkie©

While idly browsing around Amazon I was amused to see they sell nail sanders that certainly look like little Dremels.

Reply to
rbowman

On Wed, 5 May 2021 21:58:38 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Yup, and they also sell callus removers. They look like rotary cheese graters. "As Seen on TV".

I've looked at my cuticles and don't know where to start. They are too small to even begin to hack at. Maybe 1/2 mm.

Anyone have any ideas on how to prevent nails from splitting?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Jello they say, although I've never seen an improvement. (taken internally, not sprinkled on your nail)

My thumbnail tends to split which is mildly annoying since I usually don't use picks with the guitar or banjo. Superglue sort of works. (NOT taken internally)

Reply to
rbowman

On Fri, 7 May 2021 19:47:05 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Thanks for the clarification I would have F'd it up.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Well, I've been more cautious with grooming tips since that dindu styled her weave with Gorilla Glue...

Reply to
rbowman