OT: Walmart facing competition!

"German discount grocer Aldi plans to open at least 75 stores in the United States in the coming year, hoping to draw traditional Wal-Mart shoppers to even cheaper deals during the economic downturn, The Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday."

Prices will be up to 20% less than Walmart!

With pic of graffiti-covered Aldi store:

Original Wall Street Journal article

HeyBub

75 little Aldi stores is hardly a fly speck compared to Walmart. Have you ever shopped at one? They don't take anything but cash, and they do not provide bags, among other "innovations".
Reply to
salty

It ill be interesting to see how well they do. One is opening about 1/4 mile from a Wal Mart store about 30 miles from me. I pass that way once in a while so I will stop to check them out, but it has to be good and cheap for me to go back. I don't grocery shop at Wal Mart. I'd never buy the adulterated meats they sell. OTOH, a box of Cheerios is a box of Cheerios. (But a box of store brand may not be)

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Aldi opened a bunch here in Fl They are small "supermarkets" Some of what they have is very cheap. Milk at 2.79 vs 3.49 or eggs at 1.29 vs

1.99 compared to local. Much is private brand stuff. Comes with double guarantee. They already have lots of stores in the USA. I do not believe for one second that WalMart is selling food at cost. Maybe one or two specials but the rest is just so-so.

Lou

Reply to
LouB

We have alot of aldi here, they are no competition to walmart, you wont find much of anything at aldi. For bulk cheap off name stuff aldi is ok, here what they sell is not usualy what I want. Aldi is to limited in what it offers, Last time I went it was cash only.

Reply to
ransley

Our town has two Aldi's stores now, both within spitting distance of Walmart. Their selection is limited to their own brands mostly, and the quality is as good as the majors. Their retail model is to keep prices low by keeping overhead low, and they have been very successful at that. It costs a quarter to rent the shopping cart, and the upside of that is that you don't find their carts in bad repair or scattered all over town. They have only fairly recently used bar code readers. Before that, they were able to find cashiers who could commit to memory the price everything in the store. Said cashiers could actually check out a customer faster than the reader system. It was amazing to observe. Aldi's is as popular with institutional buyers as Sam's is, and it is not at all unusual to see a $200 cartload head out the door. A high percentage of the clientele may be fixed income folks from my observations of their shoppers. With the economy heading ever downward any expansion they undertake is quite likely to succeed. If you don;t need the frills, why spend the money?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Plus they don't have much "selection" on some things

Reply to
me

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 09:31:38 -0600, "HeyBub" wrote Re OT: Walmart facing competition!:

We have an Aldi near us and about 1 mile from a WM super center. The Aldi is pathetic in their selection. It's about 1/10th the size of the WM. Their prices seem higher than WM. I don't see had that location stays open.

I don't like WM and I hope someone give them some competition but I don't think it will be Aldi. Target seems more competitive.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

A couple of WRONGs here.

they do take debit cards and they DO supply bags.

and yes, we shop regularly at one. We've tried every item they have and know what we like and what we don't.

Steve Barker

You failed to mention that you get the quarter back when you park the cart.

of that is that you don't find their carts in bad repair or scattered all over town. They have only fairly recently used bar code readers. Before that, they were able to find cashiers who could commit to memory the price everything in the store. Said cashiers could actually check out a customer faster than the reader system. It was amazing to observe. Aldi's is as popular with institutional buyers as Sam's is, and it is not at all unusual to see a $200 cartload head out the door. A high percentage of the clientele may be fixed income folks from my observations of their shoppers. With the economy heading ever downward any expansion they undertake is quite likely to succeed. If you don;t need the frills, why spend the money?

Joe

Reply to
Steve Barker

too much selection is not necessairly a good thing.

Steve Barker

This is universal in the UK - but it's a one-pound deposit (largest coin in circulation).

They've got clever little chains that lock the carts together. Put in a one-pound coin and the lock opens. When you re-lock the cart back to it's neighbor, you get your coin back.

Reply to
HeyBub

This is becoming popular in some areas. My first encounter was in New Jersey. Sort of a PITA, but it keeps lazy slobs from just leaving carts all over the place. I've also been to stores that have barrier preventing you from taking the cart into the lot at all. It is either carry the bags or pull up the car to load. Local kids would hang out and load for you for tips.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On 1/14/2009 7:31 AM HeyBub spake thus:

So where are all those stores? Apparently none in California, according to their store locator:

Unless that's the wrong Aldi ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I like Aldi and shopped there when I lived in Ohio. You have to bring your own boxes/bags or purchase them there. The shopping cart arrangement is cleaver and works well for everyone. Unusual store with a good assortment of foods.

Reply to
Phisherman

Aldi Owns Trader Joes with locations all across California (and other states)

Reply to
waldo point

I am always fascinated who people think wally is their buddy. We buy most of our groceries at a very large family owned store. The prices are quite competitive and they actually have an in store meat department and none of the meat is that adulterated walmart crap. They also make good quality sausage (some also smoked on site) that isn't much different in price from that Hillshire junk wally sells.

Reply to
George

Wal-Marts prepared hot chicken wings taste like plastic.

cm

Reply to
cm

take 'em out the bag....