OT used pickup trucks

On Mon, 17 May 2021 21:13:26 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Well, we have very different tastes in music but that is not an issue. The issue is when you hear a song you haven't heard in ages and can't identify it. I had that on Sirius a few months ago & said to my wife; I'll remember that. F'n a, I can't remember shit. I searched & searched to no avail. F'n a. Yeah the Javelin, they were nice cars and fast too, equipped properly.

I refer to them as Moneyrola. The emergency services feel their bite every time they hit the mic button to transmit. They lock one into their system and you pay. When they need a cash infusion they change system protocols or don't make parts anymore.

Reply to
Tekkie©

There are people who love greyhounds but people love pit bulls too.

Reply to
gfretwell

The problem with pit bulls is the owners. Many owners intentionally bred them to be aggressive. They used to be a good family dog. My grandson has one, not pure bred, that is just a lovely dog.

There are others that I'd not be withing 100 yards of them.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I developed an interface to a Motorola Centracom Gold system close to 20 years ago. It was challenging to say the least.

When Schuylkill said they were going to use a Centracom system I asked if they were planning to buy it on eBay because Motorola had moved on to the shiny new Project 25 stuff.

I imagine there are some agencies that really are scouring eBay to keep their gear running.

Reply to
rbowman

Heh. For some of our customers who cannot upgrade to newer stuff, we occasionally buy replacements on Ebay. PowerPC processors, some I/O boards, hard drives...

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Yah, some worthless white-trash democrats had a pitbull tied up in their back yard on a small chain. The pitbull snapped the chain and attacked a 5 year-old girl walking down the street. The girls face and neck were mauled up pretty bad. She barely survived.

Reply to
Larry

I think we still have some dusty old RS/6000 boxes hiding in the corner unless the new IT guy got rid of them. Those old SCSI drives weren't cheap in their day and a working one might finance a programming cookout.

Reply to
rbowman

I guess that was why the ones I came up with were such hot trade items. I got a mod 57 for a couple of lightning drives. I was always holding a bunch of SCSI drives but I got rid of the 320/400m 3.5" "lightning" drives and the 2g "starfires" as fast as I could while they were still working. The absolute best was the 310m from a small white box AS/400. I never saw a bad one but all of those full size

5.25 drives were pretty tough. I used the 900m "elite" drives in a 9404 "shoebox" like diskettes. As long as you had one in the system when you booted, you could hot swap them. (on a PS/2).

Usually the 310s came to me from sales changes when they upgraded AS/400s from 310m to 857m. They shipped the whole shoebox with the drive installed so it was just a "no tool" in and out swap. The old ones were "recycle" items. The lightning drives got to me "bad" but it was always just that $2 interposer. I had a bunch of them.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Wed, 19 May 2021 07:16:15 -0400, Larry posted for all of us to digest...

OT: Politics - More blather

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 18 May 2021 19:59:14 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

What a deal! Yeah, I'm sure there are, the county had a problem with one of their repeaters and had to scrounge.

I remembered the s/w they used awhile ago it was Intergraph.

I wonder what their next whiz bang stuff will be to "upgrade" P25 phase II ?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Wed, 19 May 2021 03:03:43 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com posted for all of us to digest...

In emergency services it's a different story, depending how their protocols are. If a radio board is out it could affect many people for a critical period in their lives.

Reply to
Tekkie©

yeah, we picked up a site that was Intergraph. I've been listening to 'it used to work this way' for a year. I don't talk directly to clients or I would have said 'If you liked it so much why did you leave?'

That's part of the game. Hire a new emergency services supervisor and they want to go to a shiny new system. The dispatchers may hate it but they don't get a vote.

APCO has a forum and it's fun listening to the bitching and whining. It's almost as good as a.h.r.

Reply to
rbowman

Some people are pushing for cloud solutions. I guess they don't mind going back to cards when AWS goes down for a few hours or Jack's Septic Service digs up the fiber optic cable.

Reply to
rbowman

On Thu, 20 May 2021 19:24:10 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

I'll have to subscribe.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Thu, 20 May 2021 19:28:33 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Who woulda thunk? ;)

Reply to
Tekkie©

It has its moments. There was a recent thread on dress codes. They range from complete uniforms to 'we don't deal with the public face to face so as long as nothing is hanging out'

We sometimes get email saying we're going to have visitors so look civilized. The irony is if we do have training for dispatchers here they dress like they're on vacation. Which they are. 'This is really interesting but can we go to Yellowstone now?'

Reply to
rbowman

Apparently not Tiburon. They've cooled their jets a bit but they were really pushing the cloud a few years ago.

The website link is a hoot. You can learn about the benefits of concrete and what to do if your dog won't eat. It usually isn't the sharpest knife in the programming drawer that gets tasked to do the company website.

Reply to
rbowman

On Mon, 24 May 2021 19:28:12 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

I clicked on the CAD link and got blank. That's encouraging. Clicked products and got a screen of their product icons with no descriptions. Real good way to present your co to the world... Knife? I think the spoon got the job.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 24 May 2021 19:18:17 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Road trip!

Reply to
Tekkie©