Can I reprogram a key fob? $337.43 dealer quote.

Have a nissan murano 2011 with only 1 fob. Have a nissan xterra 2004 with 2 fobs. Can I reprogram the xterra fob to work for the murano? They look identical. Called nissan for a price on murano fob. Fob is 188.33 Key in fob is 15 Program new fob is 115. Total with tax is 337.43. WTF?

Btw..xterra for sale. 60150 miles. Want it?

Reply to
Thomas

I found deals but reprogram is still 115 plus the needed fob keyfor 15. I called 3 locksmiths and they do not do nissan.

Reply to
Thomas

The key fobs and such are a big time rip off. They charge way too much for an item that should be $ 20 and maybe another $ 20 to program one at the most.

There should be some kind of rip off law on the car parts as to where they can not charge you more than a certain percentage of a markup over the manufacturing cost. Over $ 200 just to get an extra key is redicolus.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I recall hearing this:

and he mentions this place for fobs:

invalid unparseable

My car requires the one that is listed as $ 132. Then I am sure you would have to get a special programmer for it. I doubt they have $ 20 in the thing .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Did not look at details but just passed on what I heard. I see mine is $58.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

That's why I've steered clear of remote entry vehicles. A spare key for my Toyota is $2.50 for a flat metal, $3.50 for the fancy version with the molded grip.

Reply to
rbowman

If you don't wait untill you've lost one to get a spare and program it you can do it yourself. You are not "programming the Fob" you are programming the BCU on the car to accept the Fob. GENERALLY if you have 2 programmed in it allows you to add a third and 4th with no problem at no cost.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Have you looked online? My toyota and my Chrysler had keys for sale for 10 or 20 for 2 or 3, and fobs not too much more.

Also look online for the instructions to program the fob. The same instruction might reprogram an old one.

If you buy keys that need registering them to the car, make sure to do that before you cut them. You can't return them once you cut then, but if they can't be programmed, and they're still new, you probably can.

I went to a locksmith to have tghem cut. He didn't charge much more than home depot and I figufred there was less chance he'd make a mistake. We didn't discuss who paid for the blank if he did miscut it, but I think it's me.

Do you have an interra. Yours sounds alien. Can't buy it; Donny wouldn't like it.

Reply to
micky

Have you seen, for example, this?

micky

Reply to
Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

These kind of problems are invariably caused by "progressive" DemocRATs. The sooner we round up Leftists to be eradicated the better off we will all be.

Reply to
Roger Blake

Called 3 of the best within 50 miles. No go. Torbic, Acme and Keystone.

Reply to
Thomas