OT Two cc's in separate envelopes

OT While I was on vacation, my wallet was stolen, I reported it, and when I got home I went through my mail and there were two letters from the bank, each with a credit card, with the same acct. no., exp. date, and 3-digit code. Probably delivered on the same day. I must have activated both of them when I called, because all the numbers are the same.

Is this what they do when 2 people use the same card? The cards are identical? But do they send them in separate envelopes? And I didn't have two cards before.

This bank says it's one of the biggest in the country but it seems a little mixed up. When I've tried to do anything on Saturday night, the system is down for maintenance for hours, until maybe 5AM ET. This time when I tried to report the card stolen, it was also Saturday night and it was down for maintenance for hours. Similarly, the phone number was "down for maintenance". I doubt they do any maintenance of the Report Stolen Card part of their system, and they should have a separate part of the system that does nothing but that. I was lucky to have a place that would let me use their phone over and over, and it was still a big nuisance to keep calling them.

That's why I'm especially suspicious that sending me two cards in two envelopes is weird, perhaps.

Reply to
micky

Congratulations to you and your new bride, Michelle ! Has she upped the limit yet ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Like out county. About 20 years ago my son had an old car, the only thing in his name. The county tax was 18 cents and it had a 20 some cent stamp on the letter. They were in the hole for about 5 cents not counting the envelope and tax paper.

Looks like companies and governments would throw out anything less than around 5 bucks.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If two people are using the same account , then you are supposed to have that person added and issued their own card. Otherwise somebody should notice if a woman is using a card with a guys name on it.

But do they send them in separate envelopes?

They're just messing with you.

And I didn't

Reply to
trader_4

My employer pays all of my health insurance premium. I opted for the lowest coverage. The insurance company's computers send me notices that I owe them zero. I guess I could see what happens if I put nothing in the return envelope someday.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That's crazy. You should invest it. Discount brokers will do a transaction for as low as $4.95. With proper investing your great, great grandchild could buy a coffee.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I know a woman in a nearby city who just got electric service. They asked for a deposit of over $400, which she paid. Apparently, they decided they didn't need that much. In a couple of weeks they send a bill for -$333 (yes, much less than 0). The bill came with a payment envelope.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

We are surrounded by idiots. I think the whole world is wacky.

Reply to
Oren

All of my utility accounts that can end up with some money in credit do it like that. Useful to see how much surplus there is in the account. Although it can confused the mathematically illiterate.

That’s for a difference reason, they don’t bother to have their system be selective about who gets a payment envelope. Some of ours even have the envelope that the bill shows up in being used as the payment envelope.

Not that I get very many snail mail bills anymore, almost all of them show up as emails now and some charge more if you want a paper bill.

Reply to
Rod Speed
[snip]

Most of by bills (gas, water, electric, phone, cable, insurance) are paid electronically. Most have stopped sending return envelopes, although the city (water) still does.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I only get the one in paper form now and that's because I have been too lazy to tell them my email address. Must get off my arse and fix that. Most of ours charge you more for a paper bill and very few of the internet and phone and cellphone providers will even send you a paper bill if you want one. Many wont even let you pay the bill when you want to, its an automatic electronic deduction from the account that you nominate, usually with a reminder a few days before they do the electronic debit automatically.

Reply to
Rod Speed