OT Turn signals

Some never use them. Many leave them blink permanently. A few actually use them correctly. We should have stuck to hand signals!

Reply to
KenK

I got a new car a couple of years ago - with a more pleasant delicate sounding blinker noise ... hence I am now .. " That Old Guy Driving With His Blinker On " .. and a deep-seated need to write a country song ! John T.

Reply to
hubops

Self driving cars, they will take care of us, "car, take me to walmart".

Reply to
My 2 Cents

So, you think that the same people who don't bother to lift their hand to move a little lever will open their window and stick their arm out? Really?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not to mention extreme weather like hard rain, winter cold, summer heat, etc....

Reply to
RonNNN

Most never use them, A few leave them blinking, Some actually use them correctly......at least around my neck of the woods.

IF they can't move a few inches to push a lever, do you really think they will stick their arm out the window?

Reply to
Meanie

G8 minds.

Reply to
Meanie

I wouldn't be surprised if those cars are smarter than many drivers.

Reply to
Meanie

I see people sticking their arm out the window signaling people all the time. It is usually "you are #1".

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

"Sorry, I was offered more money to take to you Target instead."

Reply to
hah
[snip]

Or mumble-mumble, which probably means the same as the thing above.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Half the time I can't see them because they are on the other side of my viewing angle. There are very few that comply to old laws. Every day I come upon a stopped car. I don't assume the blinker is on if I can't see it. I give them no slack in pulling out onto a road.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I always do my best to turn my signal on before braking. I like to let the driver behind me know why I am braking. I wish everyone would do that.

Turn signals don't stop cars. I never pull out in front of a car that has the turn signal on. I wait until the driver has committed to the turn.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I love those drivers who signal 2 miles before the turn.

Turn signals should be used where it isn't obvious of the intention of the driver. If one changes lanes or makes a turn from a main road, use them. If one is in a turn only lane, I don't really care as it's obvious of the intent. I see the opposite everyday.

Reply to
Meanie

Or wherever a cop may be lurking. People have gotten tickets for not turning on their signals soon enough in turn-only lanes.

Reply to
Neill Massello

As the should. If I was a cop I'd probably hold the record for tickets issued for not using a signal. Many drivers just don't care to push the lever. Not using signals is just a lazy bad habit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That tells me that you "believe" turn signals. If you are trying to pull out from a side street or parking lot, and you see a vehicle approaching from the left with the right hand turn signal on, do you pull out? Isn't his intention "obvious"?

I don't pull out until the other driver has committed to the turn by beginning the turn. I don't care if they slow to a crawl. Unless they begin to turn - or wave me out - I don't claim to know their intention.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Turn signals should be used when the law says they should.

Maybe that's because they broke the law.

Are you suggesting that turn signals only need to be used to avoid a ticket?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I look at them and wonder. You'd think a $50,000 vehicle would have come with turn signals.

When I was a kid, cars did not come with turn signals. In those days only options were radio and heater. I took drivers test signaling with hand out window.

I always signal drivers in back but may not signal drivers in front as if I am making a right turn and they are turning left they might figure I will be slower than them and cut in front of me. I agree with others that it is stupid to assume the signaler will do as he signaled and wait to see car going in that direction.

Reply to
Frank