OT Turn signals

Same here, and sometimes, I'll tap the breaks a few times so the driver behind me can see my red tail lights flash before I actually come to a stop.

Reply to
Muggles

Same for me!

Reply to
Muggles

His intentions are to turn which is the beginning of caution for surrounding drivers. The question is where it is turning. What if it that car passed you while you were waiting to exit that lot, you were behind it and it turned without using the signal? If it passed me while using the signal and I turned behind it, at least I know they will still be turning or they left it on, but at least I can react accordingly knowing their supposed intent.

That's fine, but at least you are more aware of their intent to turn than no signal at all. Whether you proceed or not before or after is irrelevant.

Reply to
Meanie

Do you know the meaning of the word "or"?

Reply to
Neill Massello

Are you suggesting that turn signals are useless?

Reply to
Neill Massello

Nice stretch.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Pleas don't snip the relevant portion of a post just you can try to make an irrelevant point.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How do you know what his intentions are? Go back to the post that started this thread. Read the part of the complaint related to those that leave their signals on permanently. For all you know, he signaled to change lanes earlier and left it on, having no intention of turning any time soon, if at all.

"Knowing their supposed intent"? That's not "knowing", that's "assuming".

I have know knowledge or awareness of their intent. All I know is that their turn signal is on. Oh yeah, I also know that turn signals don't stop cars, so I won't pull out until they perform an action that clarifies their intent.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Please don't post for minor gripe, says the snippy snapping snipe. Or you may find that home repair is left in limbo - in the air. For when it comes to picking nit most of us don't give a #!*%?.. :-) John T.

Reply to
hubops

I don't want to pick a fight But it wasn't just a minor gripe.

The snip removed the point of the post So therefore the compliant is worth the most.

The question asked was not much fun Because of the snipping that was done.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You have a greater assumption the driver is turning than not, when the signal is on. I would guess 99% of drivers who use signals remember to turn them off since I rarely see that error. A greater % belongs to those who don't use them. Therefore, I would place a safe bet the vehicle is turning. Regardless of it's real intent, you plan to wait for it's movement and the point becomes moot.

And it's a closer approximation than not knowing at all.

Once again, nothing wrong with that and you can beat this issue till the flies eliminate the horse. The fact is, you have a greater assumption a driver will be turning with a lit signal than one with no signal.

Reply to
Meanie

Actually, I think it's a fairly valid question. If one ignores the use of signals or the observance of them, perhaps they deem them useless or pointless.

Reply to
Meanie

Not as bad as "Tekkie®", who doesn't leave *any* context when he replies to a post.

Reply to
RonNNN

Fairly valid? Now there's a strong endorsement.

I described a specific situation where I wait until I'm sure of the driver's intention: The situation where my pulling out in front of the vehicle that has the turn signal on will result in an accident if the vehicle does not turn.

How does that strech to "I think turn signals are useless"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It should be, but, the driver might have had that turn signal on for another turn he made several miles ago and forgot it's still on. Thus, he/she has no intention of making the turn as his/her vehicle is indicating. I've followed people down the interstate that had their turn signals on when they merged into traffic flow, only to keep it on for miles down the road. How they don't realize it's still on, is beyond me. My dash lights flash and I can hear a ding ding sound in the event I can't see the dash light flashing. I shouldn't need a ding ding sound, I should know because I've got an arrow blinking to the right/left that my turn signal is still on, but.. YMMV.

Same here. I like my ride, and, I don't want to smash it into something because I assumed the driver was going to do what his ride was indicating.

Reply to
Diesel

You know what they say about assuming...

Reply to
Diesel

That's a very courteous thing to do. I applaud you for it.

Reply to
Diesel

And I rarely ever see operators of vans, pickup trucks, or police cars use them!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Diesel wrote: "You know what they say about assuming..."

YES. Some years ago I *ass*umed the driver of an older white Mercedes, approaching in the opposite lane from over a quarter mile away, left directional blinking, was actually going to turn left. No other traffic was preceding him or following him, I activated my left blinker, and commenced my left turn.

Next thing I know, in mid turn, that white Benz was bearing down on me, blaring his horn, left directional STILL blinking away! I had a split second to react, and floored my gas pedal to expedite my left turn. I avoided my tail quarter being clipped by the Mercedes by mere inches!

Despite my racing heart, I still had time to glance to my left, and see the white Benz fading down the road, left turn still blinking away obliviously.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Thank you there Ronnie the post grupenfurher. I bow to your isteemable knowledge. Please help me improve my posts so that I can be as good as you!

Reply to
Tekkie?