OT Toyota mechanics ? OT

Anybody out there with experience woking on Toyotas ? I'm trying to get the starter out of my wife's 99 4Runner 4X4 . Got it unbolted and off the motor , but can't figure out how to get it out . Tried twisting , turning , rotating , flipping , and there just isn't any way that I can see without either dropping the front drive axle or possibly dropping the steering rack - it looks like it MIGHT come out if I pull the oil line that's on top of the rack , but not sure if that will give me enough clearance . I pulled off for now because I was frustrated enough to start breaking things ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

This help??

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

This video might help:

Stormin' Norman

Yes , it did thank you very much . I was so pissed and frustrared I didn't even think about checking the web ... the Chilton manual just says "slide forward to remove" . I was trying to beat the rain (I didn't) , looks like it'll br tomorrow before I get back on it . I'll have to figure out how to get the tire off since I have it on ramps for underside clearance . Hopefully my floor jack will go high enough .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Drop the half shaft. I believe that is the recommended procedure. I was a Toyota tech for over 12 years total, but before the V6 and independent suspension 4x4s.

Reply to
clare

Definitely easier than pulling the half shaft - That looks like the simplest way.

Reply to
clare

Definitely less work ! I may not have to pull the wheel , looks at first glance like I can get to the bolts on the brake line by just turning the wheels full left .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'm pretty sure I heard you say "hopefully my floor jack will high enough to get the vehicle up on jack stands."

I put a 4x4 and a small steel plate on the saddle of my floor jack when I need a little more lift.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I didn't say that ... the car is up on ramps now .

I may not need to pull the wheel if I can get access by turning the wheels full left . If not , I think I can lift the ramp and all , put a jackstand under the lower a-frame then lower the jack . That will take the weight off the wheel and let me remove it . I wish my friend was still running the antique car restoration business , I'd be doing this in a heated bay with a frame lift . Sure made rebuilding the front suspension of my '86 GMC p/u a lot easier .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

there is a Yahoo group with very knowledgeable Toyota techs..

Toyotas snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

I joined it so long ago I don't recall how..

You can figure it out i'm sure.

I think it is an email list server, even older than newsgroups.

makolber

Try this link :

If I remember correctly - from using other Yahoo-Groups - you can read through the existing posts anytime - but need to register/join to post topics. It's been a few years but I have found several of these groups to be very helpful - eg specific makes of vintage sewing machines Elna, Necchi ; WheelHorse garden tractors. John T.

Reply to
hubops

.....or this newsgroup: alt.autos.toyota

It's the only one with any traffic, to speak of.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Thanks for the info on Toyota groups , alla y'all !

I did manage to get the old one out and the new installed after viewing a youtube video at the link Dean provided - and even that way there is only one orientation that lets the unit come out that hole .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Another one of the the things that you pull the engine out to replace a part.

Youtube has lots of info if you can find it. I have found on some sites like Autozone that sell replacement parts they often have a place that shows how it is done.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I did a BMW X5 starter and that was no fun either. To get the bolts which you can't even see out, you have to use a 3 ft long extension with a swivel end on a ratchet and go over the top of the tranny. It takes two people, one behind the tranny to work the wrench, one at the starter to hand feel where you almost can't reach to get the torx socket onto the bolt.

Reply to
trader_4

1996 Chevy Corsica , need a long extension like that to unbolt the tranny from the motor . At least on that one you can see the bolt ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

The problem with Chilton manuals is, for example, when you're looking how to remove the engine from- perhaps a '97 F-150, it will say something along the lines of:

Carefully open your tool box, select a 10 mm wrench (this will be the long thing with a claw on the end and a 10 stamped on it). Next, find the hood release lever inside the car (bottom of dash just to left of the steering wheel), carefully pull the lever toward you until it clicks and hood pops up.

Then carefully insert your gloved hand under the front edge of the hood to find the secondary release level. Push it gently to the left to free the hood and slowly raise it.

Finally, take your 10mm wench in your left hand (claw forward), pick up the other tools you need in your right hand, and remove the engine- being careful not to let any coolant, oil, or gas spill onto the ground and damage the environment....

Reply to
Wade Garrett

They're crap!

If you cannot get an official HELM manual, buy a Haynes manual.

Haynes has very handy tips included in their manuals. Better exploded drawings and photos, too.

I recall having a Haynes manual fer my '74 Dodge van. It included plans for contructing an engine hanger out of regular old pipe sections one could easily buy off-the-shelf at any hardware store. Using this homemade fixture (plans provided by Haynes), I was able to switch out the automatic transmission, on my van, with a basic floor jack in about 20 mins!!! I'm not exaggerating!

I'll qualify myself by saying I learned to read Japanese Motorcycle manuals way back in 1970. I KNOW manuals and I wouldn't give you a newly minted nickel for a crappy Chilton manual ....of any age. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Chevy never made a 308 -----

The only way to change plugs on a V8 Monza was to remove the engine mount. Same on a 428 CobraJet Mustang, back around 1968 or '69

Reply to
clare