OT: Titanic sank due to enormous uncontrollable fire, not iceberg, experts claim

This is an interesting twist on the sinking of the Titanic.

Titanic sank due to enormous uncontrollable fire, not iceberg, experts claim

or

Stormin' Norman

Sure - wait for all the eye-witnesses to die, before creating the theory .. ... or were they all brainwashed by the space aliens who really caused it ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Tell the truth, you didn't read the article, did you?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

That's about where I'm at with this new theory too.

Reply to
trader_4

Take a look at this additional information:

The theory seems quite plausible.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Norman still thinks Fake News stories are the truth when they fit his biased agenda.

Reply to
redzap78

This photo of Titanic has become all the rage with regards to this fire theory:

Notice the black streak down the starboard hull from directly beneath the well deck break. It has been suggested that this section of hull is darker due to a blaze just inside that area of hull.

My impression is of someone's greasy grubby FINGER grabbing the photo or negative of it. This fire did exist, but was largely a smolderer with only slight heat issues to internal structure, not a McQueen-Newman scorcher as in 'Towering Inferno'!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

All this fake news stuff is making me sick.

First off, there were plenty of survivors and a fire was not mentioned.

Twenty (?) years ago Science News ran an article mentioned the carbon content in the rivets was too high and an entire seam ripped open that should have held.

Off hand I could not find that article but did find this on my first hit

Reply to
philo

Link here

philo

Then why does the article "mention" that a team of 12 men tried to put it out? Someone must have mentioned it.

"A team of 12 men attempted to put out the flames, but it was too large to control, reaching temperatures of up to 1000 degrees Celsius."

No one is saying that the iceberg wasn't the final cause of the disaster, they are simply saying that a long-burning fire may have weakened the hull to such an extent that the ship split open when it otherwise *may* not have .

As they say in the article:

?It?s a perfect storm of extraordinary factors coming toget her: fire, ice and criminal negligence.

8 years ago, "...Ray Boston, an expert with more than 20 years of research into the Titanic?s journey, said he believed the coal fire began during speed trials as much as 10 days prior to the ship leaving Sout hampton. "

Why do you put so much faith in the rivet theory yet totally disregard the fire theory? They are both plausible and may in fact both be contributi ng factors. Even the people quoted in the rivet article say:

Dr Corfield said: ?No one thing sent the Titanic to the bottom of t he North Atlantic. Rather, the ship was ensnared by a perfect storm of circ umstances that conspired her to doom.?

Bad rivets, fire weakened steel, too much speed, Captain Smith's heading, the infamous iceberg, etc. may have all played a role in the disaster.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Coal bunker fires were and still are notoriously difficult to detect without electronic sensors which were not available in 1912.

Here is a monograph on the topic of coal bunker fires, it contains a section on detection which is quite interesting.

It is not at all surprising that none of the passengers and very few of the crew were aware of the problem.

Stormin' Norman

That was my point. Some people knew about the fire but it was kept quiet. Philo said "and a fire was not mentioned".

Even if there hadn't of been an alleged cover-up of the fire, it's not surprising that on a ship of that size, things that go on in the bowels are not known to everyone.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The fire, if there was a fire, was apparently before the Titanic ever left port, before the passengers even boarded.

ether: fire, ice

Except of course that cameras have been down to the wreck and I seem to recall that the damaged area is a long gash from the iceberg, where multiple compartments where all flooded. It was not limited to one smaller area where a fire could have been responsible. Also, exactly how hot can a fire get a steel hull that is below the water line when the steel is in contact with unlimited water? I'd like to see these experts show us how steel can get hot enough that it's weakened like that.

Reply to
trader_4

Wow...it looks like this indeed may be true and is certainly criminal negligence if the ship left port with a known fire.

Also found this concerning the radio messages

philo

Nope - I try to avoid click-bait ... ... and once, when I was abducted by those self-same space aliens - they showed me the exact same fake ice berg that they used to do the deed - link below - it's true !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

The way you insist on posting from an informed position is very impressive...... ;-)

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

I know - I get all my most important news and info from Fox News and The National Enquirer. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Maybe he went to Trump U? It's the signature Trump method. I don't take or need intel briefings, but I know better than anyone else what went on with the hacking into DNC.

Reply to
trader_4

Oh it's Trump's fault again. You poor thing, did your favourite candidate not get in?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

This is the first I'd ever heard of it. Walter Reed's "A Night To Remember" makes no mention of it at all. I first read that back in 1962...!

Reply to
John Albert