OT The Beijing Olympic Opening ceremonies.

OT I know but was watching the Olympic opening ceremonies, live, this morning (Friday Aug 8th).

I scheduled to start at 07.00 AM our local time here in eastern Canada. But didn't join it until a couple of hours later.

Blessed with very few interruptions/commercials/announcements the Canadian CBC did a very good job. The preliminariese were most impressive and then the athletic teams marched in, each colourful and preceded by their chosen national flag bearer.

Surprised itwas not on any of the US channels we receive here! Understand it will be on this evening.

Reply to
terry

I watched it live, too... (in NS, eh!) For all that is negative about China and these games, the opening ceremony was stunning - absolutely stunning.

Yes, they must tape delay it for us prude americans. There might be a wardrobe malfunction or something.....

wouldn't want us to see a boob or something you know.

Steve Barker DLT

It started at 8 tonight. given the numerology thing, I figured it would come on at 8:08 today 8-8-08. Even better, I watched it and in true American form, at 8:08 a Budweiser commercial came on. Must be a good omen.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I feel sorry for the next host country.

By the way when the boxes were going up and down, I guessed correctly that there were people inside. My wife said it had to be computer controlled mechanics. When they came out waving I won.

Reply to
Art

I was trying to figure out how they could move in and operate a big enough hydraulic or pneumatic system. The co-ordination was excellent.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Well actually they tape delay it so NBC can get the big bucks for putting it on in prime time. This happens for every Olympics outside the US mainline time zones.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

I didn't watch the opening ceremonies but, can you even begin to imagine the pressure that the folks who planned and coordinated the event were under? The phrase "head's will roll" sort of takes on a new - or possibly old :) meaning!.

Reply to
Doug Brown

"saving face" isn't just for Japanese any more!

From what I know of China, the government is a lot less polite with dissenters than in the USA.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Exactly- Don't attribute to prudishness what can be explained by corporate greed.

Seems to me, though, that with the current state of cable feeds, NBC could do both a live feed and a primetime feed. Probably need the time to insert appropriate commercials or something.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I"m no fan of the Olympic broadcasts, but I think they also rearrange time slots so things that are simultaneous or overlapping can seen sequentially.

I watched a little tonight, and it is nice to watch without already knowing who won. Certainly there are enough tv jokes about taping the football game and someone spoiling the game for him.

If I listened to the local radio and tv news earlier today -- no hunting the internet -- would I have known who won?

Reply to
mm