(OT) Testing a Fax machine

I bought a used older fax machine at a garage sale. The seller said supposed to work. I only deal with a few faxes per year so it wont get much use, but is handy to have. My question is how do I test it? Is there some sort of fax testing number I can call? I dont know anyone that has one at home, like a friend who can assist. I'm just not sure how to test the thing.

Thanks

Reply to
tangerine3

In that case, go to a Kinko's or maybe Fedex and pay to send off a fax to your own fax machine. Maybe if you explain and show the fax that you are sending, they will waive the fee???

Reply to
Doug

There are free, web-based, faxing services. That is, you can send a fax from your computer.

Here's the first one Google spit up:

Be sure to supply an email address of snipped-for-privacy@cnn.com to avoid being hit with spam.

Reply to
HeyBub

Send a one page test fax to: 1-888-877-1655 and then log onto faxtoy.net and it should appear within a few minutes.

Reply to
Peter

That works if you have a scanner. You also need to have your PC on all the time with the fax program running to receive faxes.

I think fax is about like telegrams, 8 tracks and betamaxes but there are still a few hold outs, usually in the construction industry who use fax for everything. The PC idea just baffles them.

Reply to
gfretwell

fax test line

Reply to
Metspitzer

I do service calls for a nationwide service company that subcontracts techs across the country and use both Email and fax. Heck, I fill out all sorts paperwork to send them via Email including digital pictures. Just about every commercial customer I service has a fax machine. The ubiquitous fax machine is far from dead. You seem to be calling into question the level of intelligence of those who work in the construction industry which makes me wonder if you've ever been on a job site where there is a construction trailer. The fax machine has evolved into a simple rugged device that is available 24/7 with no need for a clean, cool environment and constant software updates. It just works without drama and a lot of fiddling which is what people in the business of building things want. I may have to break down and get some sort of large screen Android based cellphone for some of the work I do but for now, I have the simplest cellphone I could find because I just want to make and receive a phone call. I also have a pager and have been with the same service provider since 1984 and have had the same pager number since 1990. Why use a 10kw laser when a simple knife will work? ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Just curious... what do you service? I repair machines for schools and that market is hurting fiancially right now...

I am thinking of doing some other repair work as a income supplement.

any advice would be appreciated

Reply to
bob haller

There are a lot of companies that hire subcontractors across the country and I wind up doing all sorts of things. Here are some links to several I know of and some I've done work for. You have to sign up through their tech pages and/or contact them for information.

I'm disabled and can't hold a normal 9-5 job because I never know when I'll be in so much pain I can't walk. I don't get any government help and me and my friends in the same invisible work force refuse to sit around and feel sorry for ourselves so we go out and find work. I find it quite amusing when I hear anyone say they can't find a job because jobs find me and those like me who know how to do "things". ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas