OT, Slightly - Laminate Floor Failure - Bulge

In know this is OT to this group but I strongly suspect there are several folks here with knowledge of the subject (also posted to appropriate RV Groups).

We own a 2001 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel Travel Trailer. The trailer has a wood-grain laminate in the kitchen area that extends from the aft end of the kitchen to the steps to the upper bedroom. It looks similar to Pergo and is installed in strips with three simulated boards in each strip

This morning I noticed a noticeable, flat-topped bulge in the floor about the size of a football. The flooring has raised about 1/16" to 1/8". It extends across one laminate strip and the edge of an adjacent one. It also involves an end joint. My first thought was water since the hot water heater is under a cabinet about 1 foot from the bulge. However, on inspection there is no sign of moisture under the cabinet or anywhere around the bulge. Even the flooring seams, that are very slightly separated, show no signs of moisture, dried sediment or staining. No ceiling leaks above. Also, the bulged area feels pretty rigid, not spongy. There are undamaged laminate strips between the water heater and the damaged area. The area right under the bulge is occupied by a duct and the problem appeared during an approximate 6 week storage period.

I described it to my RV dealer (an honest, straight-shooter) and he suspects simple laminate failure and nothing more ominous. He tells me that the floor is similar to Pergo but a different material. It is also a floating floor and if I have installed Pergo (I have), replacement should be fairly straight forward. Apparently the floor panels are assembled on the bench in the factory and laid in place in one piece. He has only seen one similar case and my problem sounded like that occurrence.

QUESTION: Does this sound like a good case for a simple laminate failure? We are planning an extended trip pretty soon and this problem does not need to be repaired until we return, unless the problem is a sign of a more serious condition.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

RonB

Reply to
RonB