OT: Seeking Map program/software

I'm seeking a map program that allows me to categorize territories or geographical borders by roads, counties, cities, etc. and label accordingly. Something which could be used for an example of sales rep territories. I tried Google and it doesn't do it or I don't know how to do it. Thus, asking if anyone knows of a program or Google how-to if it does it.

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

One would normally use a spreadsheet or database to categorize.

Could you explain your need a little further? Maybe some examples of how you would like it to work and what you want it to do?

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Would the old plat maps do you any good? Or, a very quick search turned this up:

Dean Hoffman

Looks like it has potential as soon as I figure out how to use.

Thank you.

Reply to
Meanie

As I understand it you want to create a polygon layer based on political boundaries etc and assign attributes to the polygons? What format is your geodata in? ESRI is the big player in the field but ArcMap is quite expensive. There are open source tools like QGIS that aren't quite as polished. They also tend to lag ESRI's latest scheme to confuse third parties.

How do you want to present the information? If you have some way to create GeoJSON files that represent the polygons you can render them client side on a Google basemap using their API. KML was the earlier format and it is still supported.

Let's start with what exactly you're trying to do? I might be over complicating things but GIS is a good chunk of what I do for a living. The learning curve can be a little stiff.

Reply to
rbowman

Yes on your first question. You lost me after that.

I am establishing a geographical network of people across my state who will be doing some work for me. I want to set their territories and label them for my own records. Therefore, when the list of jobs is provided to me, I can determine where those jobs are located and assign accordingly to each person's territory.

No presentation is required. It's for my own records of maintaining organization.

Reply to
Meanie

Seems like the territories would be more easily managed if they were assigned by zip code.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

The way I would do it is to start with a spatially aware database. The example is for DB2 with the spatial extender, but PostGIS is probably the best bet. The price is right, too.

For your purposes you probably can just grab the relevant TIGER/Line shapefiles. If you're lucky you might even find some boundary polygons that will work:

Then you can load the data into PostGIS:

The hard part will be establishing your polygons of interest. Once that task is done, you're set to roll. First you geocode the address, say

1000 Chestnut Dr, Biloxi AL to get the point. Next you do the PIP (point in polygon) described above to get the polygon(s). If you assigned an unique identifier to each polygon then it would be easy to do the lookup in your personnel table. That table would also have additional information for each person, capabilities, contact info, and so forth and can be easily edited as the roster changes.

You can get more sophisticated. Say Joe usually covers area A and Mary covers B. You can establish a ranking so if Joe is assigned you can pull in Mary.

Anyway, that's how it would be done in the business world. A wall map and a marking pen might be a lot simpler unless you can find a COTS solution. All the tools are out there and are free but some assembly is required.

Reply to
rbowman

Thank you much

Reply to