OT: Saving two cents

I think they might have wiggle room there. I would consider

1/2gallons and individual cups to be different 'commodities'.
2 brands, side by side, each 1/2 gallons, or each individual servings, need to use the same unit. IMO- and IANAL.

The last one I ran across that I remember was at Samsclub. Plastic jars of honey. One unit priced in ounces, one in pounds. Different sized containers.

Another I remember was a real help-- toilet paper. One listed 'per sheet' one listed 'per foot' [or 100 feet?]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That's a perfect example - and I'm pretty sure that was something I've run into before.

That, and paper towels, specifically the "select a sheet size" where you can tear off a ~1/2 sheet instead of a full sheet.

If one is priced per sheet and the other is priced by the foot, then it takes math to determine a comparable unit pricing.

Is there wiggle room there too? "Full sized sheets" being one commodity and "select a size" being another?

Seems like an awfully grey area to me.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If that's what you're talking about, I see that too. I thought you were talking about say a pint of ice cream, vs a quart, half gallon, etc. ie when it's still all in one package. If they put it into little individual servings, or make it into bars, etc then I would not be surprised to see it called out differently. I think the main intent of the law is to allow you to compare the same product from different companies, ie all the individual ice cream servings should be spec'd out using the same increments.

Reply to
trader4

So did he use Charmin's 'soft' or their 'strong'? Really, Charmin? We have to choose?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

While you are taking pictures of the tags

Reply to
Metspitzer
[snip]

I haven't gotten to weigh an empty tank yer, but I have weighed a "full" tank (one of those that claimed 15lb) and that seems right. I wanted to weigh it full as a way to tell how much propane is left.

That may be true, and then the government decided that was not enough.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

There are 3 places around here (Kroger, Wal-Mart, Lowes) that sell Blue Rhino. Their labels all say 15lb.

HD has "AmeriGas", 15lb.

Walgreens (and CVS?) sell "Heritage Propane". Labels say 17lb.

The TANKS are marked (stamped in metal) with 16.6lb. That may be the weight of an empty tank.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

-

The first and only time I exchanged a tank at HD was back when it was

17lbs. It was AmeriGas back then too. It was more than a few years ago, so obviously they've lowered the amount, but probably not the price. Once I realized what I had just bought, I never went back - not because I thought I was duped (caveat emptor) but because the price per pound was higher than I could pay elsewhere.

I just called my local BJ's Wholesale where I get my tanks refilled and asked them how much they put in the tank when they refill them. With no hesitation, she said 20Lbs. The price fluctuates, but it's always cheaper than any "tank exchange" price and I'm supposedly getting the full 20lbs.

It's been a while since I've weighed an empty or full tank, but I think I'll do it the next time I need a refill.

I don't have a tank in front of me, but it might say TW 16.6lb, which would be it's tare weight - the weight of the empty tank.

Even without the TW, I'll bet dollars to donuts and a new propane tank that the 16.6lb stamped into the tank is the tare weight.

Reply to
DerbyDad03