Ot: Press CLEAR at gas stations?

Amici, I tried to check this out on Snopes but didn't find.

A friend sent me a warning that when using the credit machine at gas pump, one needs to press CLEAR before and after pumping gas. The contention is that if your credit card number is not "cleared", the attendant (or whoever) can use your credit card number stored in the machine to pump their own gas.

This is a new one on me,; thought it worth looking into.

Anyone have info/opinion on validity?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

try this

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

LMAO

Reply to
Steve Barker

Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find it on Snopes; I input various key words. Oh, well. Now will have to eat **** with several correspondents. Sigh!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I use the Clear button on the pumps at the gas station to clearn the codes from my car's Engine Control Computer, and to stop the Check Engline light. I like it.

Reply to
mm

I couldn't say whether there are a few defective pumps around that might allow this, but on a couple of occasions, I' have pumped gas, replaced the nozzle and then realized the the tank wasn't full, then tried to finish filling it and it wouldn't work. Most pumps at least close the transaction when you put the nozzle back. (If they're quick, they could probably get a free car wash at some stations though.)

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Oops, that is if you take off without answering the questions...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Just hold a very powerful magnet next to the card reader. All data is wiped clean. You can buy 5lb and larger magnets from places like American Science Center. Or an alternative method is to fire a high power rifle or pistol into the card slot. Works everytime.....

Reply to
2testes

Why don't they ask those questions at the start, so you can answer them while the tank is filling?

I think there is some selfish motive for their doing that, but don't know what it is.

Reply to
mm

I use it to clean both the windshield and my eyeglasses.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Who'd you hear that from? Bachmann or Ventura?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Thank you! I don't know why I couldn't find it on Snopes; I input various key words. Oh, well. Now will have to eat **** with several correspondents. Sigh!

I couldn't find it on Snopes either. I found it by using a Google search.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

I thought the Clear button makes the pump dispense gasoline that doesn't have than nasty pee-like yellow tint.

RicodJour

I thought that the CLEAR button was to request permission for clearance to leave the fuel pump.

Reply to
Larry W

That's true at the stations that sell white gasoline, cider gasoline, and wine gasoline.

Reply to
mm

Lordy. It is to clear whatever you just fat-fingered and punched in wrong, like on a calculator.

Reply to
aemeijers

Or you're about to restart its heart. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now you're just talking nonsense. After investigating more fully I discovered that the Clear button is supposed to be pressed after you have managed to put yourself out after setting yourself on fire while dispensing gas. That way other people know it's safe to resume pumping gas. It's a courtesy button and not required by law.

RicodJour

It does both. To do yours, you have to yell CLEAR! while you push the button.

Reply to
mm

The cops should stat yelling that before they Tase somebody. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas