OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship

Sounds like every day on Usenet?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And if the ship's captain is going to ignore known hazards, what good would more warning be? He sailed the ship into KNOWN shoals.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:vJmdnUX5lKMxoYTSnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Very true.

I really do wish some people would wait for data before spouting their prejudices.

Reply to
Tegger

Wrong. He *must* be on drugs.

Irrelevant. WTF did it have to do with the post he was replying to or anything else, for that matter.

Reply to
krw

That would be no fun at all. You'd think this was National Brotherhood Week.

.

I really do wish some people would wait for data before spouting their prejudices.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The guy on Science Friday today (well, yesterday, Friday), or maybe it was Terry Gross, said that the ships had depthfinders and electronic navigation charts.

I actually don't know what active sonar is. He didnt' say anything about it, pro or con.

Reply to
micky

I guess according to harry they should take out the stick shaker that warns of an impending stall in airplanes and all the other warning systems too, because the captain might ignore them.

Reply to
trader4

The typical depth finders and fish finders on boats are one form of active sonar. They send out a pulse that gets reflected back by objects, the time delta giving the depth. There are also forward looking ones that give images/depths of what's ahead. Whether they are practical for a ship of that size approaching shallow water, I don't know.

Reply to
trader4

:

So instead of addressing the point, resort to insults?

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Just opionion but I seriously doubt that _any_ commercial ship has sonar.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Why? It's availabe for even small craft for $1000? And that's how depth finders and fish finders on virtually all boats work.

Reply to
trader4

50 f. water temp.
Reply to
ilbebauck

Is there inactive sonar?

It turns out he was having dinner with a pretty travel agent when the ship hit the rocks. But he still waited for his dinner, and after they finished dinner, she waited with her for her desert.

She said he after that he was on the bridge until 11:45, but of course the ship continued sinking for hours after that.

I also heard that he said he fell off the deck into the lifeboat. Anyone hear that?

Also something about a laptop.

They have T-shirts in Italy now saying "Get back on the boat". They're meant politically also.

Reply to
micky

Of course. It's called "passive sonar".

Reply to
krw

I heard on the news tonight, he was having dinner, but asked to be notified when the ship was 6 miles from the island. He steered the ship into the rocks because he wanted to get close.

My wife did. Don't know the details. I also heard he fell into the water and they was hauled into the lifeboat.

I have to wonder if we will ever know the real truth of what took place. Differing news reports, a few lies and supposition by others sure makes it a mess.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

What good would that do? The rocks are non-electronic.

Reply to
micky

Yeah, he says that happened and he wanted the lifeboat to take him back to the ship, but they refused. The problem with this is that recording of someone in charge teliling him to get back on the shp, and his saying, "It's dark now.". And the other guy's sarcastic answer, "Do you want to go home? " It's dark and you want to go home.

Reply to
micky

Someone else said 61F. Big difference. More to the point, anyone konw how many people sawm to land and how many stayed on ship until rescue boats came. (Some of the lifeboats were under the ship and not useable, so it's impossible that all who survived did so with lifeboats. ) We may never know.

Reply to
micky

Passengerers were ordered to return to their cabins during the sinking. which must of lead to more deaths......

Reply to
bob haller

Who said it would do any good? You're the only one dumb enough to bring up passive sonar in this thread.

Reply to
krw