OT physical questions about the sinking Italian ship

Perhaps, but in spite of all the regulations and sophisticated equipment, some dumb human over ride made it worthless.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Good point.

Reply to
micky

Where are the life vests kept? In the cabins? Do people have to go to their cabin to get their life vests? I don't kow, never been on a cruise. (Not my cup of tea. I don't even like islands. When I lived in Brooklyn for 12 years, periodically I'd think about how trapped I was and the only way out might be my bicycle.)

Reply to
micky

Hi, Vests are stored in the cabin. Also some more on the muster stations where they launch life boats or dingy.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On all the cruises I've been on they are at lifeboat stations.

Reply to
clare

Like I say, I don't know, but if they think they have to go to their cabin to get the lifevest, that could be a problem when the water rushes in or the ship tips over. Fortunately I'm fat now, and don't need a life vest until I am unconsconscious, or nearly so. That's the only good thing about being fat.

Reply to
micky

So why do cruise lines seek out the laxest countries and register their ships there?

Reply to
George

This one was flagged in Italy, hardly world renowned as a flag of convenience. Also, even if flagged in a different country, most of the developed countries (like the US and most of Europe) also have their own requirements if you are sailing from or to them and carrying their citizens. My understanding is that the flag of convenience is more related to things like needing to pay US minimum wages if US flagged than it is lax safety.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

PRECISION GPS unit that can not be shut off should alarm anytime a ship veers into dangerous areas.

and ships captains should be required to explain to authorties why the system alarmed!

Reply to
bob haller

me:

The safety of passengr vessels is regulated by an international board. The flag is immaterial. All passenger ships must be inspected and meet the codes to enter international commerce.

Just one of a whole bunch of hits using passenger ships safety

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Not true for cruise liners. Tankers cruise ships.

Reply to
krw

How about executing the captain if the ship varies from a path known to be

*free* of underwater obstacles. There is a difference between dangerous areas and areas known to be free of hazards.

No explanation needed. Fire the nitwit.

Reply to
krw

active sonar interferes with wildlife mating etc. whales talk by making noise and can be drownd out by active sonar

Reply to
bob haller

Are you always on drugs?

Reply to
krw

George wrote in news:jf94cp$rvt$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Because registrations come with taxes. Ship owners tend to register where the registration taxes are lowest.

Reply to
Tegger

Nope. The whalehuggers had a long running environmental suit against the Navy seeking a court order to curb midfrequency sonar, the Navy's preferred method for detecting enemy submarines, on the grounds the sonar disturbs and sometimes kills whales and dolphins. It got settled after the Supremes said defense needs trump the whales, but that wouldn't be a concern with cruise ships.

The navy doesn't want a bunch of extra pings rattling around the 7 seas either. It would make them much more vulnerable if an errant ping hit them. It would probably also make it harder It would also be an added expense to no real gain. Just stay in the known shipping lanes and you would be good to go.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The Costas are all registered in Italy, hardly what most people would call a flag of convenience.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Uncalled for. You don't believe a statement? Google a bit before making an ... of yourself.

Reply to
Han

I was wondering about whether they had forward looking sonar and were using it too. You can get a basic version for $1000 for pleasure craft. One would think that this ship certainly had it, but whether they were looking at is another question.

Reply to
trader4

Sounds like a good idea until you think about how practical it is. Like the crew being distracted and running into the dock or grounding in a channel because the alarm is constantly going off and driving them nuts as they enter shallow water coming into port, etc.

And then you have the many areas where even the latest charts don't show current shoaling, etc.

Reply to
trader4