OT: Old laptop to get Internet on TV

I am still not sure why you folks say it is so wrong to hook an old (dedicated) PC to your TV through the 15 pin connector virtually every new TV has. Hook this up to your network. You can use it to stream from virtually every streaming service out there but you can also use it like a slide projector to look at pictures, you can play music, I heart radio, and if you have a PiP TV you can even browse the web while you are watching regular TV content in the other box. One thing we like to do is have the MP3 player running for the sound and put up a slide show or a video on the screen.

Reply to
gfretwell

No, they don't.

Between myself and my family members we have 11 flat screen TVs and only one of them has a VGA input...a 32" Westinghouse that is about 7 years old. Hell, it's hard to find a new flat screen that even has a separate set of component and composite inputs now. Manufacturers are starting to use component/composite hybrid inputs.

Reply to
Ron

I just responded to another post of yours about most flat screens having a VGA input. That is simply not true...*especially* on newer TVs.

Reply to
Ron

True. It is saying that SOMETHING is needed to which the TV can function as a monitor. In the context of this thread (see subject) that would be a laptop.

Reply to
dadiOH

It's not even saying that. The smartphone, PC, or tablet is just used to *control* what happens on the TV. For example, with my Tivo, I can use my smartphone and it's display to search for a Youtube video or a Netflix movie. Having found it, I can then command that it be played and it shows up on the TV by being streamed to the Tivo. I wouldn't say the TV is functioning as the monitor for my smartphone, any more than I'd say the TV is functioning as a monitor for an ordinary remote. The TV is essentially serving as a display for the chrome device.

If you're using a PC and it's video card to play media and then have the TV connected to it, in that case I'd say the TV is functioning as a monitor, because it's connected to and displaying what would normally show up on the PC monitor.

Reply to
trader_4

ograms on TV. (I gave up cable; too expensive and too few channels that in terest me. I tried OTA with an internal antenna & got a lot of stations, bu t what crap!

Does it need to have the equivalent of the TV? Or...?

No, I would not try to use an old laptop. Laptops lag behind desktops in c omputing power. Plus they don't accept as many cards as laptops. I'd look for a regular pc. It doesn't have to be brand new but reasonably recent. Also look for one with hdmi or dvi output. Hdmi with sound is best. A pr operly configured hdmi connection to a decent tv will also let you view "pr otected" content. Get a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo and then you can put the computer somewhere out of sight.

Reply to
jamesgang

Since when?

Reply to
Ron

All of mine have one and virtually all I see in hotels do too. We always take a lap top to use in the hotel.

I suppose the MPAA is trying to get rid of them tho. They want everyone to drink the HDMI Kool ade so they can come along and turn on the DRM hardware that is in it. It is all part of a clever plot to stop copying movies once and for all. You can't watch them if the cable going to the TV blocks them, no matter what you are trying to play them from.

Reply to
gfretwell

Anything big enough to run XP, will stream video. I had a 486 350 w/98 machine that would do it but it had a video accelerator in it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Make that a P II 350 sorry

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, you must have a bunch of older flat screens then. And how old do you think those TVs in those hotels are? That Westinghouse that I have with a VGA input was made in '07. Given the lifespan of a flat panel TV those hotels are set for another 20 years. lol

Reply to
Ron

OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless, the laptop (for this thread) is needed.

Reply to
dadiOH

What do you mean a laptop is needed? If the OP has a smartphone, she can use that with Chromecast. Or a tablet. IDK about you, but I'd rather use one of those to control my TV media source than a laptop and if you already have a smartphone, all you need is Chromecast. That is where we're headed, to stream internet video directly to the TV. Many new TVs have the capability built-in. Or you can buy a Chromecast or similar cheap widget. Before I went out to buy a PC or notebook to use for streaming video to a TV, I'd fully investigate the other alternatives, especially when they could be just $40.

Reply to
trader_4

She specifically asked about laptops. Not smart phones, not tablets...laptops.

Someone provided a link to a gizmo and asked if a laptop was even needed. I replied to that reply pointing out that the provided link specifically said that an external device was needed. I don't care which one she - or you - use but OP asked about laptops.

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah, if you have a smartphone with an unlimited data plan. Plus you are limited to Google Play, iTunes, Amazon, etc.

You can find a laptop on Craiglist for very little money and then it can used as a dedicated media device.

My little brother bought a Chromecast last December and he isn't happy with it because there are some kind of conflicts between it and his Samsung tablet. He says it works fine with his laptop but was pissed after he bought it because he wanted to use his tablet.

Personally I have all of the TV stations that I would ever need with my current cable package. For movies, I use The Pirate Bay :)

Reply to
Ron

And before you say it, I know a smartphone can be used with a router, but then we are getting into another area. We don't know what kind of setup the OP currently has. Also, some of the older smartphones don't have wifi capability. And, my girlfriends iPhone on occasion has somehow switched itself from my router to her 4G connection.

Reply to
Ron

It's a mighty strange view that because she said she's looking at buying a laptop as the solution, it means that a laptop is required. She's clearly looking at solving a problem, ie getting internet video to a TV. People proposed alternate possible solutions, which seems approriate, one of which was Chromecast. Chromecast doesn't require a laptop or even a PC. She could use a smartphone or tablet, which for most people, is going to be a lot more convenient and easy to use.

And then when I pointed out that out, you responded with more obfuscation:

"OK, "monitor" was a poor choice of words; nevertheless, the laptop (for this thread) is needed."

Just because she asked about using a laptop to stream video to TV doesn't mean that a laptop is required for Chromecast. It's an *alternate* solution and you can even use a smartphone.

Below is what you actually posted:

Don: > Do you need a laptop at all?

You: The site you linked says so...

"Google's Chromecast is a small dongle that plugs into a spare HDMI port on your TV to stream media from the internet to the living room screen using your smartphone, tablet or computer as a remote."

I don't care which one she - or you -

So, it's better that we just stick to what someone who obviously isn't too sure what the best solution is, thinks they need, rather than offer alternatives that may make more sense and cost less? Say she has a smartphone. She can buy Chromecast for $40. But she should stick with only considering a laptop because that's what she was originally considering? When the whole world is moving to streaming internet video to TV's directly, she shouldn't even consider it? Good grief.

Reply to
trader_4

The streaming video doesn't go through the smartphone. The smartphone is just used to select what gets *streamed* to the Chromecast device. The actual streaming video is from your wireless router directly to the Chromecast. The above is what DaddiOh apparently doesn't understand either.

And it's incorrect that you're limited to a few sources. AFAIK, anything that you can view on a Chrome browser, you can view on Chromecast.

I'm sure we could all find some incompatibility problems with anything. And I'm not saying that she should use Chromecast. Just that:

A - As others have suggested, it's an alternate solution. If she has a smartphone and wireless router she can implement it for $40 instead of buying a laptop.

B - A smartphone is what I'd use to control what I'm watching on TV, rather than a notebook. A lot more convenient.

C - The whole world is moving to streaming video directly to the TV, with many TV's already having built-in internet capability.

She can do whatever she pleases, but I don't see anything wrong with looking at all the options and the choices should be made on fact, not incorrect info. One advantage I see in a "PC" based approach is that it can also serve as a DVR.

That's where I am too. Over the years I've looked at the available movies from Netflix, etc, but there is enough similar stuff on cable that I'm already paying for and not enough special stuff on the NEtflixs, etc that I'm really interested in.

Reply to
trader_4

See my detailed reply to your previous post. With Chromecast of a similar device, the streaming video does not go through the smartphone, tablet, whatever. It's just used to choose the streaming video and start it. The actual streaming video is from wireless router to the Chromecast directly.

But she does.

It would be a pretty old smartphone. They've all had that for many years now. And so what? We shouldn't offer alternate solutions because she might have an old smarthphone?

And, my girlfriends iPhone on occasion has somehow

Irrelevant.

Reply to
trader_4

If you run into that "no VGA input" problem, get one of these

gfretwell