OT. Medicare Supplement Insurance Ads

Yes, it's better to lose money on health insurance, because it means you've been healthy.

I actually have had a 3 procedures and 2 very expensive tests*** in the last 10 years, plus annual checkups and blood tests. It might still have been cheaper to have no insurance at all, but the doctor's and hospital offices are happier when you can just give them an insurance number. And If I had more than 3 or something that took longer than 2 hours, I'd be losing money without insurance.

***I passed all my tests because I'm basically healthy. So even if I lost money, I'm ahead on health.
Reply to
micky

I forgot about that. Something seems wierd about that. T he people without insurance are in many or most** cases the people with the least money. Why shoudl they pay more?.

**I stop at most because there was a period where I had no insurance, even though I could have afforded to pay for it. I've mostly had school or employee insurance.
Reply to
micky

And I did go to the doctor during that time and he gave me a discount because I had no insurance, a big one I think. But that doesn't mean he does that for everyone or that other doctors, clinics, hospitals do it, or even that he'd do it for me a second time.

2, 3, or 4 years later I felt bad and went to his office to psy him more, but he wasn't in that building anymore and I couldn't remember his name. And unlike many things I forget, his name never popped into my head. Maybe I should have gone to the office and gotten a list of doctors who had moved out, but I didn't think of that until now. Now it's been 10 years and it's probably too late.

During one of my spring trips to Greece, I was feeling sick on the highway and I stopped in a small city, asked a pedestrian where there was a doctor and I went there. He examined me, gave me a prescription for two drugs and when I went to pay, he didn't take charge cards and I had verrry little money. He told me not to worry, but I thought I could get money at the ATM in the first floor lobby. When I looked at it, it wasn't an ATM, it was a means to send money to foreign countries. There were no banks or ATMs nearby so I took him at his word. But two years later, I wasn't far away and I went back. He wasn't in his office and he had no secretary or other staff, so I went downstairs to the pharmacy and asked if they had his number. They did better than that. They called him and gave the phone to me, and I had money and was willing to go whereever he was in that small city of 21,000. But again he said not to worry about it. So I don't.

Reply to
micky

No, i'm sure it did not. And I didn't fill out any forms** or sign anything. **Nor did he.

Reply to
micky

Because they lack negotiating power. It's not about "should", which suggests there's some higher power ensuring fairness.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Don't you keep records? I have every piece of medical paperwork going back more than 20 years.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I think ever growing numbers of people are realizing that extreme right wing radical nuts like you are a real threat and the recent election results partly reflect that. I was a lifelong Reagan Republican, I no longer recognized what the party has become.

Reply to
trader_4

Not very good ones. I started off keeping every cancelled check, every bank statement, every utility bill, but after a while there are so many that they take up too much space. Of course I coudl get rid of the old ones, but fwiw, I think it might have been a tragedy in my life that broke my stride on this stuff.

Not only that, I have trouble remembering when medical symptoms started and what they were. A ledger for that would have been even more important that a list of doctors. Used to be so little had happened that I could remember it easily, including dates, but no more. I should start now.

WRT to the shingles vaccine, I couldn't rmemeber if I'd had chicken pox or not. I remember measles and mumps but not chicken pox. This doesn't reflect my disorganization so much because lots of people can't remember and no one takes notes when he's 6 years old. My mother's no longer alive and my brother didn't remember. So I got the shingles vaccine, both of them. Barely hurt at all.

There's a Lyme disease in the works but not for 2 or 3 more years.

Reply to
micky

And that's assuming it works.

I think iirc and I might not, one no longer needs the first vaccine because the second includes everything the first did, and more.

I have a good friend who has had shingles and she said it was terrible, and she agrees that one can get it again, but she keeps putting off the vaccine because she says her arm hurts when she gets a shot. She's normally quite sane, and not a baby. I don't know what gives with her sometimes.

Reply to
micky

I had something with spots when I was about that same age. I don't know if it was measles or chicken pox. My mother can't remember. I got the first dose of shingles vaccine last week. Shingrix in the left arm; COVID and flu in the right. My left arm hurt like a bitch for a day or two.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Yes.

I don't have that. ;-)

Reply to
micky

I'm sure you know that measles has spots, chicken pox has pox. And sometimes scars.

I might have been 5 when I got measles. ln those day they kept kids in an almost dark room until they were well, to prevent measles blindness. It must have worked. Well, it seems it's not act ually needed, but they thought so then.

I think I was 4 or 5 then and I was still sleeping in my crib. Age 4 would have been 1951 and my parents had ordered beautiful furniture from North Carolina, but because of the Korean War, it was delayed for many months, maybe a couple years.

Well worth it. .

Reply to
micky

I remember the days when parents would invite other kids over when their kid had the mumps. The theory was get them infected while they were young cuz it would have been much worse to get it when they were older.

Mumps is the only illness I remember them doing that with. Maybe there was others. I *think* I remember them definitely *not* doing that with the measles. Something about measles being too dangerous. I’ll admit, I could have that part wrong. I’m sure about the mumps thing. BTDT.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I was ambiguous. They thought incorrectly that low light would prevent blindness.

They were not wrong that measles can cause blindness. One of the dangers because of which Marilyn is probably right, that no one purposely infected a kid with measles.

Reply to
micky

Yep. And 60 years later I can't remember exactly which one it was. Probably chicken pox; I remember constantly being told not to scratch.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I would have remembered that. The way they smear the stuff on and dig around for a while is a lot more memorable than a shot like the polio vaccine. I do remember the school nurse applying fluoride in 5th or 6th grade. That was before they dolled it up and it was a salty, foul tasting solution. From personal experience, it is not very effective.

Reply to
rbowman

A big clue. I don't remember being told not to scratch my measles. I don't remember even wanting to scratch.

Reply to
micky

I recall the smallpox vaccination too and for some reason got a booster several years ago and it was just a single shot in the arm.

Reply to
Frank

Oddly enough I just read that you should get a smallpox booster every three years.

Reply to
Frank

Why is it odd that you read something?

Reply to