OT Lost my credit card last Thursday

Lost my credit card last Thursday, noticed it when I tried to buy something on Friday.

Figured it was in my car or home, periodic looking, no good.

No emails about it being used.

Sunday night I thought, Maybe it's still at Dunkin' Donuts, my last stop on Thursday.

Forgot to go yesterday, but today it was there!!!

He had 3 cards. He said they kept them for a few days and then notified someone (hard to hear through the plastic breath guard.)

The cashier should have given it back and I should have noticed that he didn't. I'll do better in the future.

But still, Whoopee!!

Reply to
micky

My wife and I go to Colombia in the winter and it's a great place. Much lower crime than the US but you do not let your credit card out of your hand. First time I handed it to someone in a store...they looked at me like I was totally crazy.

Reply to
philo

They will wait a week or two and then start ordering from Amazon - they have your name & card number & the security code from tha back of the card .. Cha-Ching. John T.

Reply to
hubops

My daughter went to Cartagena. Left her shoulder bag hanging on the back of her chair at small local restaurant. As she was getting ready to leave, she realized that someone had stolen the *copy* of her passport that she was carrying. A few other not-that-big-of-a-deal items also. Luckily, she had her cash and CC cards in her pocket.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

A friend had her identity stolen over a decade ago. There's still stuff going on. Over the years there's been cell phone accounts opened, credit cards galore, loans applied for, etc.

"She" even listed an RV on Craigslist, supposedly in Florida. An elderly couple in Wisconsin sent "her" a check to cover the cost of the RV and a driver to deliver it. When they realized that they'd been ripped off, they went to the police. She got off a plane after a business trip and when she turned on her cell phone, the first thing she heard was a voicemail from a detective in Wisconsin that wanted her to give him a call. She's never been to Wisconsin, so knew right away that the sh*t was continuing.

You know that "free 12 month credit monitoring" that we all get offered whenever there's a breach? That's a joke. The bad guys know all about that. They are very patient and they have identities queued up, ready to be used *years* after they get stole/bought them.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

We shall see. But I know Amazon will call me if there is any unusual purchase from them. I get those calls frequently, so I know I can count on them.

Reply to
micky

If I couldn't find it after a reasonable search around the house, car, etc, I would have reported it lost to the CC company. They typically have a new one to you in a few days. Not only is it safer, but the sooner you start that process, the sooner you get the replacement.

Reply to
trader_4

When a card expires and they send a new one, it has the same 16-digit number, but if you lose it they change the number, and then any place where that card is on record for repeat payments, you have to change the number. And I was still sure I would find it.

Reply to
micky

I agree with Micky. The world in general isn't as horrible as it seems to be in the North East. I left a debit card in an ATM in Driggs Idaho and didn't get back for 3 days but it was behind the teller line when I went in the bank. My wife is had horrible luck with her cards but she can't say any of her problems came from a lost card. She left her purse with everything she owned and my passport on a counter at the Auckland airport, the lady behind the counter had it and again next to a table on the sidewalk outside a bar in Dunedin NZ. They were both there when I went back. Someone found it and turned it in. Same here when I dropped my wallet getting out of the car at my water quality place. I went in the bar next door and the bartender had it. I did give the guy who turned it in all the cash I had ($27) and paid his tab on my credit card as a reward that I wouldn't have to change all the crap micky is talking about.

Reply to
gfretwell