OT - Hurricane Sandy damage assistance

OMG, the lake is higher than the creek, so it might even be above your head! If the dam breaks, YOU MIGHT DROWN! Be *very* worried! Buy the insurance!

Reply to
krw

Who said Washington couldn't solve the energy problem. Of course, there being no such thing as a free lunch...

Reply to
krw

I believe you're talking about the WTC. The Empire State Building is quite a pile of steel and stone. It will take a direct strike from a bomber. ;-)

Reply to
krw

LOL But ONLY if I lie down in the creek. Which during the fall is easy to do safely. Spring/summer, you can happily kayak the thing Fall/winter, is all portage...

ONLY if the water surge from the dam is 80' high does it even have a chance of coming through my basement door..

Yeah, I think I lost some sleep on this about 14 years ago, when we first moved into the house Or maybe that was the baby keeping me awake Or maybe the dog... Or not, maybe the snake... Nope, it was the damn goldfish splashing in the tank... That was it That damn goldfish splashing around it's tank gave me nightmares of being flooded.. Damn goldfish.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

I suppose if anyone has archived things that far back you could look but I thought New Orleans was a huge rip off too. We should have never let them rebuild that city below sea level. They should have barged in enough dirt to build New Orleans on a hill.

Reply to
gfretwell

Elevation and a 150 MPH wind code goes a long way toward saving a house.

gfretwell

FYI Google Groups search goes as far back as 1981.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Or 'they' whomever they are could have done it like the Dutch and engineered a system that works.

It's not like the bean counters and politicans didn't have sufficent advance notice.

Reply to
NotMe

A little bomber anyway (B-25)

Reply to
gfretwell

Go for it. My ID has not changed for 20 years The real question is what the retention time is on the various servers and whether Google recognizes the no archive bit.

Reply to
gfretwell

The dutch have a different situation than what exists in Southern Louisiana.

Reply to
gfretwell

They do? I'd be interested in the specifics as friends I went to engineering school (LSU/Tulane BTW) with spent considerable time over the pond reviewing what the Dutch did to address their problems.

Basics as I understand both areas: High energy storms, land below sea level, very similar pumping systems, water has to be pumped up hill. What have I missed?

Reply to
NotMe

The EPA and the Bayou. We would all be long dead before you ever got permits. You also are talking about an island, not a shoreline. Water can come towards NOLA from any direction. When they had the opportunity (large areas with houses more than 50% damaged), it would have been a lot cheaper to just fill the bowl. I am not even sure how FEMA allowed anyone to rebuild below the datum plane. You sure can't do that in Florida. 50% damage based on the tax assessment of the building, not including the land, you tear it down, fill above the datum plan and build or build back on pilings.

Reply to
gfretwell

A Do little bomber. ;-)

Seriously, the building was built like the proverbial brick shithouse. The mast on its roof was designed to dock Zeppelins.

Reply to
krw

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The remedy to the 1953 floods was the socalled Deltaplan. Because, like NOLA, the most affected part of Holland is the delta of the Rhine, Meuse and Scheldt rivers. Much of Holland's economy depends on activities below sea level. The defense is to keep improving (and often increasing the height) of dikes, and generating ways to divert water. Same types of things could be done around the world, especially NOLA.

The 1953 storm in Holland was very similar to Sandy - extra-ordinary high tides, and a big storm that pushed up the sea against the funnel formed by the land: In 1953 the funnel was the North Sea between the southern parts of the English and Dutch coasts, leading to the English Channel. With 2012 Sandy, it was the funnel of the coasts of NJ and Long Island.

Building codes were changed in Holland (no more homes built into the dikes as was customary in some places) and a very much shortened primary defense was built to replace the hundreds of miles of dikes around smallish islands. That isn't quite possible in NY/NJ, but is done to some extent around Lake Pontchartrain.

Around Rotterdam waterways were protected with movable locks/dams, as was done as well near London. Something like that ought to be done in New York to protect the infrastructure around Staten Island, in Manhattan and up the Hudson, etc. But it won't be done, because it is cheaper to react to disasters than to prevent them, certainly in the short run.

Reply to
Han

On Sat, 5 Jan 2013 20:26:13 -0600, "NotMe" wrote: Hurricane Sandy will be returning this January. It's estimated to return on or near Sunday January 13, 2013. It has developed at least five times the power it had the last time it passed through, so there will be much more damage this time. It will affect all 50 states and other parts of the world.

Prepare now!

Reply to
weather_reporting

Oren wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

See also In addition to replacing the glass, I think they needed to add internal bracing ... Seems to happen rather often with big high rise buildings. Insufficient wind tunnel modeling has been the usual blame.

Reply to
Han

I know the WTC had some pretty serious modifications made to withstand hurricane force winds (and fire, BTW) but I'd never heard the ESB had undergone such. It was built before there was wind tunnel modeling for buildings, and as I said, overbuilt.

Reply to
krw

Reply to
NotMe
1) how can you be weather reporting, and "notme" at the same time? 2) Obama says we have 57 states, not 50. Must be true.

Christ Hurricane Sandy will be returning this January. It's estimated to return on or near Sunday January 13, 2013. It has developed at least five times the power it had the last time it passed through, so there will be much more damage this time. It will affect all 50 states and other parts of the world.

Prepare now!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon